Who here likes the jazz?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturo7

Reaction score
Home alone tonight, made a big pasta dinner, watched a little hockey.

Now I'm just kickin' it with a little single malt and some jazz.

I don't go much for the contemporary stuff. The soprano saxophone is (mostly) an abomination. Monk, Mingus, and Miles are more my style.

A little Horace Silver spinnin' on the TT tonight, "Finger Poppin.'" (Blue Note 4008, deep groove mono, thank you very much)

Any other jazz fans here?

I like the new Jazz fusion stuff that is out. The real jazz-funk-reggae-hiphop mix type stuff. Ton of awesome bands out of New Orleans right now. Galactic, Papa Grows Funk that type of stuff

I used to love fusion. In high school all I listened to was hard/progressive rock. Fusion provided a much needed bridge into everything else.

Some of it I still like, some not. I saw Jeff Beck live a couple years ago and he kicked my ass. I haven't listened to any of the newer* stuff. I think I might dig the reggae influence.

However, I'm not sure if it would suit my mood on this mildly buzzed occasion. Got some Sonny Rollins on now, "Newk's Time" (BN 4001 Re-issue)

* newer is certainly a relative term. Most of the fusion I know was recorded 20+ years ago. Jeez, am I an old-timer yet?

You have no idea how much I love jazz.
Yeah I spent years in Rock/metal satellite radio but prior to that ..

it was teh Jazz.

I was one of the last Interviews Art Blakey ever gave... won a PBS video contest with the documentary based around it.
Production Manager/ Air Talent for a Full-on Jazz FM.

I loves me some Jazz.

I do have a soft spot for Straight Ahead Jazz.

Thought we were talkin' basketball! I like the Jzz since I live in Utah but I'm also a Clippers fan too!

Thought we were talkin' basketball! I like the Jzz since I live in Utah but I'm also a Clippers fan too!

Aaaaahhh....

They really should have changed the name of the team when they moved out of N'orleans and into Utah. I don't think Charlie Parker would have been welcomed there.

Linky linky?

I wish there was one.
my sister may still have a VHS somewhere..
she is the family archivist. Most of my stuff was thrown out by the ex-wife.
Including most of my Video Masters. :mad:

yeah.
Now you know why she is teh X-ray.

Silicon Valley. Nestled between Fremont and Alameda.
Home to NUMMI and tons of other companies no one has ever heard of.

one of my best friends has family in Huntington Beach Fire Department BTW.

small world.

It's 12:55-ish, "Somwehing Else" Cannonball Adderly is spinning in the run-out grove. (another original, deep groove, RVG, ear, Blue Note. I wish I was as cool as my vinyl) I should probably go to bed.

Oh hell, why not one more. Did somebody say Art Blakey? Howzabout a 10" on Emarcy?

Edit: Sorry for the grainy pic. It's dark, late and my thumb has a mind of itz ohn,

CLIFFORD AND MAX.jpg

Awesome.

I spent a week with Art Blakey, shooting the Documentary and taking drum lesson.

I still, to this day, swing like Blakey unless I am double bass metal pedalling

Dude, we were get'n along jsut fine until you said that. I gotta go.

(If there was one of those f-ing bananas whacking his head with a hammer it would be right here)

see here is the thing, I rarely drum anymore
last gig I did I played bass. and it was a country band. LOL

I'm one of those messed up multi-instrumentalist types. probably not helping but, hey....
I still brew though.

Home alone tonight, made a big pasta dinner, watched a little hockey.

Now I'm just kickin' it with a little single malt and some jazz.

I don't go much for the contemporary stuff. The soprano saxophone is (mostly) an abomination. Monk, Mingus, and Miles are more my style.

A little Horace Silver spinnin' on the TT tonight, "Finger Poppin.'" (Blue Note 4008, deep groove mono, thank you very much)

Any other jazz fans here?

I tend to go for the older stuff: Sarah Vaughn, Billie Holiday, even Ella Fitzgerald. I like some of the more recent singers like Nina Simone, Vanessa Rubin & Diana Krall, but I've recently discovered a young lady who can really belt it out, you may have heard of her: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUlvHt3Epso]YouTube - Renee Olstead - A Love That Will Last[/ame]

Sorry I'm not as informed as 'd like to be on the musicians, but I can only name a few: Dave brubeck, Stan Getz, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, John McLaughlin, etc...

I'm wondering if you might be able to answer a question for me: Do you know of a version of the song "Black Coffee" that features only 1 saxaphone & 1 female voice? This would've been recorded in the early to mid 90's and would likely have been published under ther saxaphonists name, with the female singer billed as a guest. I heard this on an NPR show in 1996, and have been looking for a copy of it ever since. Tried the show, their website, and various stores & enthusiasts ever since, no luck yet. Any ideas? Regards, GF.

Y'see, the kids, they listen to the rap music, which gives them the brain damage. With their hippin' and their hoppin', and their bippin', and their boppin'... so they don't know what the jazz is all about!

I definitely dig on the jazz, baby!

Herbie Hancock
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Charlie 'Bird' Parker (more bop, though)
MMW
Bela Fleck & the Flecktones (fusion)
Victor Wooten
Monk
Mingus

Gratus, buddy...

I don't want to get all EAC on you, but...

Renee Olstead ain't jazz. I was going to make a RO = Coors Light comparison but it's worse than that. More like an NA beer. I'm not commenting on whether it is good or bad, but it's not jazz.

Sarah, Billy, and Ella however, now that's the ****e! Check out Dinah Washington as well if you haven't already done so.

Cheers

I love Jazz.

Let's see, just flipping through some of my stuff... Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, Maynard Fergusen, Duke Ellington, Noel Pointer, Gil Scott-Heron, Dave Brubeck, Earl Klugh, Jeff Lorber, Count Basie, Benny Goodman, Dizzy Gillespie, Woody Herman, Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Billy Eckstine, David Sanborn, Al Jarreau, Michael Franks, Tommy Dorsey, Charlie Parker, Ahmad Jamal, Rare Silk, Supersax, Recoil, John Klemmer.

The only time we really play jazz in this house is when the missues desicides its business time.. I hear the jazz going... and well.. you know....

It was hard (ogh bad choice of words)...umm... it was difficult walking through New Orleans without.... err....well...ill stop posting now....

The one thing I know about jazz is that I'm not smart enough to get it.

I mean I'm pretty smart in that IQ, standardized test kindof way, but apparently not smart enough to appreciate that art form. And it is an art form. In the way Piss Christ is an art form. Many people out there really dig it, but I think a lot of them dig it to exclude me. Whatever.

I'm a Skynard/Coe/Hendrix/Zeppelin guy myself. Not that you can't like jazz and those guys. I guess I'm just a simple man.

To each his own. That's why America is great.

The one thing I know about jazz is that I'm not smart enough to get it.

Think of Jazz as being similar to homebrewing.

Find a song you like ( recipe ) tweak it and experiment with it.
Create an original, make it a standard and enjoy others experimenting with it and giving it a new flavor.

Using this analogy. EdWort is a Jazz virtuoso.

my brother got me a ken burns jazz cd compilation. five disks. i listen to it often, but don't know who anyone is on it. where does the big band/swing fit into teh jazz? i like that stuff a bit.

edit: squirrel nut zippers, i ilke them too, the chicks got the knock off voice that's yow....

Last edited by a moderator:
Gratus, buddy...

I don't want to get all EAC on you, but...

Renee Olstead ain't jazz. I was going to make a RO = Coors Light comparison but it's worse than that. More like an NA beer. I'm not commenting on whether it is good or bad, but it's not jazz.

Sarah, Billy, and Ella however, now that's the ****e! Check out Dinah Washington as well if you haven't already done so.

Cheers

Ya, I suppose so, but I'd still like to bang her. :ban:

Listening to Jazz 101

(Over-simplified and by no means definitive. Kinda long too)

Buy, download or steal a copy of Miles Davis “Kind of Blue.” This is the best selling jazz record of all time. The music is as brilliant as it is accessible. Many a jazz-phile was weaned on this record.

Pick one song, maybe Freddie Freeloader, and listen to it a few times in a row. Not so many as to burn yourself out on it. This song follows the standard 1-4-5 blues progression which is familiar to every ear in the western world.

Let’s start with the “head.” In this song it is a call and response between the saxes and trumpet:

baaah-baah > doop doop doo dooby do do repeated 4 times

followed by all the horns together

dhaat dhaaa, dhaat dhaaa, dhat baaah baah played once

As you get more familiar with this, pay attention to what the “rhythm section” (drums, bass, and piano) is playing behind the horns. You’ll hear how they subtly build, fall, and accent to enhance what the horns are playing.

You’ll probably get to the point where you can hear this in your head without listening to the recording. Awesome, you are well on the way to becoming a jazz fan.

After the head is played a couple times, the solos begin. Listening to solos can be as simple or challenging as you want to make it. Typically, the soloist is playing “on top” of what the rhythm section is “laying down,” with a whole bunch interaction between everyone.

If you want to focus only on the soloist, try echoing in your head every note he is playing. You can do it, although it may take a little practice. FF is a good song for this because it has a medium tempo and nobody is “blowing hot,” or fast and furious.

On FF the saxes, piano and trumpet each take a solo. After the solos the head is repeated, tagged, and the song ends. Simple in concept, sublime in execution.

Jazz is art. Art requires some effort from those who wish to reap its bounty. You can’t take a casual glance at the Mona Lisa and expect understand why it is considered a masterpiece.

If you want to dig the music get away from your computer, put away your book, no newspaper, no telephone, no texting. Pay attention only with your ears. Think of it as active listening.

You do not need to be a musician, musicologist or even musically inclined to appreciate jazz. Of course, someone with a PhD in theory from Julliard may grok a bit more than the neophyte. However, jazz is by no means beyond reach of the uninitiated. Put forth the effort and you will be rewarded. I guarantee it.

Glad this thread isn't about the basketball team. I love me the bigband jazz for sure. I hate the 'smooth jazz' and other mind numbing contemporary jazz.

I enjoy the newer smooth jazz once in awhile to relax myself. It's like classic country though in the fact that I'm the only one in my house that can stand it.

I like some jazz...more of the stuff on the fusion side of things...Jazz seems more interesting to me than any other genre of music, but not something I always want to listen to.

Back