Apfelwein possiable SNAFU.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My batch of Apfelwein has been in bottles for 20 days. My son put 6 bottles of the "Flat" (no priming sugar) in the fridge last evening to chill them. Can I pull them out and let them bottle condition at room temp with the rest for the rest of the time needed? Probably at least another week. Or has chilling them early caused issues with the remainder of the bottle conditioning? Or should I just leave them in the fridge until they are ready?

You can do either, you could even drink it now if it tastes good. I drank a couple of pints of mine at bottling time and it was good, but it does taste better after aging a bit.

The 3 week rule is for carbonation. These are bottles that you're not trying to carbonate, right? So all you're really doing is aging (conditioning). You can pull them out of the fridge if you want, or leave them in - because you didn't prime them for carbonation they don't require the 3 weeks at 70 degrees. They will likely get better as they age though, and I think they will mature faster at room temp.

I haven't tried carbing Apfelwine yet. I have a batch that spent 5 weeks in the fermenter before bottling. After an additional week in bottles at room temp, it is dangerously good and getting better.

Seems like this magic potion is relatively bullet-proof as long as you use the right yeasts and give it time to condition at fermenting temps.

Has anyone put apfelwein in any container other than a keg or bottle. I was thinking about leaving it it the fermenter until a few days before I wanted to serve it then putting it in the gallon jug the apple juice came in. Considering that there is live yeast im assuming this is a bad idea. Was hoping i didn't have to buy and additional 48 12oz or 28 22oz bottles since I have about 180 bottles already :O

Why wouldn't that work just fine if you sanitize the jugs first? My understanding is that it is the hops that cause problems with clear glass, not the yeast.

Back