Candy Sugar teqnique questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZOTH99

Reaction score
I"m getting ready to try the chimay blue recipe and have some questions about using it. This is my first go using it. The guy at the store said " just use it in the boil"
But after reading here it seems I add it in the last 5 minutes of the boil or add it in the primary? I've even read add it when kegging? so which is it or will it really make a difference in when I add it? if I add it in the primary or during kegging what is the proper way to accomplish that? just throw it in there solid the way it is? water it down into a syrup then add it what's the scoup on using it?

I add my candi sugar in the last 5 minutes of the boil to make sure it dissolves and to reduce the chances of causing an infection. If you want to add the sugar during fermentation I would dissolve it in a small amount of boiling water, cool it and then add it in.

Don't buy the "Belgian Candi Sugar" rocks. Buy or make some syrup. That being said, I prefer at the end of the boil, however, I have added it in primary with good results.

make your homemade syrup and add it in the last 5-10 minutes of the boil. Look ad basicbrewing radio video, one episode explain how to make it.

Also, this thread gives the technique, if you are like me and want to have printed instructions to follow: 20 pounds of sugar. Don't be scared by the 23 pages of discussion, the method is given in post #1 and is very simple.

I've added it to the boil, and also one time I added it after a few days of fermentation. Worked fine both ways.

No worries!

Back