just finished up my kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbrewing

Reaction score
"holiday" 5.0 cu ft freezer from lowes-$165
it holds three corny kegs, and my 5lb co2 tank.
triple tap stainless tower from the lhbs
the freezer was white, i painted it black. used a johnson controll for the thermostat overide. took me about 8 hours from unpacking the fridge from the truck to painting it, and having it cold enough to start force carbing my first keg of APA. woo hoo!

7951-DSCN0184.JPG

7951-DSCN0190.JPG

7951-DSCN0187.JPG

7951-DSCN0192.JPG

Looks great. I'll planning on replacing my old kegger with that same freezer. The door for my kegger is bunged on.

How stable is that tower? I noticed that the skins on chest freezer lids is really flimsy and only gets its rigidity from the foam core. For those thinking of doing this project, I'd recommend removing the plastic skin and gluing some 1/4" plywood on top of the foam and use long bolts to hold the tower.

Bobby_M said:
How stable is that tower? I noticed that the skins on chest freezer lids is really flimsy and only gets its rigidity from the foam core. For those thinking of doing this project, I'd recommend removing the plastic skin and gluing some 1/4" plywood on top of the foam and use long bolts to hold the tower.

it's pretty stable, but i'd feel better if it was more stable. i'm putting a small piece of wood underneath it, and fasten to it for rigidity.

brian williams said:
it's pretty stable, but i'd feel better if it was more stable. i'm putting a small piece of wood underneath it, and fasten to it for rigidity.

Don't use wood. Refridgerators aren't exactly dry environments and putting wood in there is just asking for mold. Get yourself some steel plates (galvanized or other for rust prevention) and through-bolt the tower to that .

Nice setup. I'm thinking about going this route for my kegerator, too. I like the easy access of the freezers as opposed to the mini fridge, plus you can get an extra keg in there.

Where did you get your temp controller?

Lil' Sparky said:
Nice setup. I'm thinking about going this route for my kegerator, too. I like the easy access of the freezers as opposed to the mini fridge, plus you can get an extra keg in there.

Where did you get your temp controller?

i bought it for 67 bux from my LHBS i know i could have gotten it, and a few other componets cheaper off of ebay, etc. but the LHBS has been good to me with free advice, help, etc. so i did my business there.

brian

You can still use wood or plywood to make it more stable underneath your tower. Just coat the wood with a good quality polyurethane or lacquer. Either one works great. Or a marine grade spar varnish will keep the mold and mildew off. Just my $.02 worth. Keggerator looks great by the way! :mug:

Even untreated the wood should not mold. Most mold need 60-80F to begin growing and I suspect your kegerator will be lower than that.

Back