2 keg setup - dual body regulator vs. regulator with dual output manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjaffy

Reaction score
I'm in the process of acquiring the items I need to setup a dual keg system and am looking at refrigerator conversion kits from kegconnection.com - They have two kits that I'm looking at:

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=336
which comes with a dual body regulator

and :

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=330
which is slightly cheaper, with a single body regulator and dual output manifold

I'm not sure what the advantage is to the (more expensive) dual body regulator. Help please

I actually got the dual-body regulator, and the benefit is that you can set different pressures to each. I don't know how often it will be something I need, but I like having it since I tend to brew a variety of brews and would like to be able to serve something at a higher volumes if the style calls for it, while leaving my other brews at their regular level. If you don't think you'll be varying your volumes of CO2, then you would probably be fine with the single.

The dual body regulator will allow you to carb the 2 kegs at different pressures.. not a necessity but nice to have, for me anyway.. I have a 3 body regulator setup and I can have 2 setup at 12 psi on the current kegs, then force carb the next one at 30 for a couple of days if need be. Or you may have different styles that need different pressures..

kinda boils down to what you want to do...

edit: and worstbrewing beat me to it! :)

Dual regs will allow you to set 2 different pressures to your tanks. I just purchased a dual reg setup myself so that I can be force carbing beer and serving beer at the same time.

The single reg with multiple distribution just allows you to run the same PSI to multiple tanks.

So if you want to run different pressures get the dual reg, if not the single is good.

EDIT: Damn you both beat me!

Ah, many thanks for the info, I think I was grasping that I could set different levels between the kegs but I didn't understand the value there. Looks like a good upgrade to have.

Yeah, my logic at the time was to get it, because it saves me down the road from trying to sell the single body to replace it if I decide I want a dual. Also worth looking at on their is the premium dual body they have, it has actual handles for the pressure instead of just screws that require a screw driver. Not a hassle for everyone, but pretty big convenience for me, worth the extra $$

While the dual-reg is the hot setup, if you're on a budget the single reg with manifold approach works fine. It's a bit of a pain, but you can force carb one keg on the manifold while serving the other. Just have to make sure you close your serving line's valve before turning the pressure up to carbing. Like I said- it's more difficult than adjusting 2 regs, but is still easy enough. Oh, and you can't serve at 2 pressures. Kyle

+1 to Conan. I have a single reg with dual output and it works just fine for me. If you are pulling drafts everyday then you might want the double reg as others have posted so that you can force carb and serve at the same time. Otherwise I've had no issues with the single reg setup thus far.

I think the dual regulator set up is EASILY worth the $20 difference.

If you ever want to serve beers at different pressures or if you need to quickly force carb you'll be glad you spent that $20. I have a two keg set up with dual regulators and I rarely have them set at the same psi

I ended up going with the dual regulator. Though I'm trying not to break the bank putting this outfit together, I do try to buy things once, and the extra $20 seemed like a good upfront investment against buying it in the future and ending up with extra parts.

I ended up going with the dual regulator. Though I'm trying not to break the bank putting this outfit together, I do try to buy things once, and the extra $20 seemed like a good upfront investment against buying it in the future and ending up with extra parts.

Good move. Just some more use ideas with the dual: I have three taps on my keezer but a dual regulator. One regulator has a cross attached with three disconnects for regular serving. The other has a "T" with two disconnects so I can serve soda or hit a newly kegged beer with 30 psi for 24 hours if needed. In addition this regulator is used as my utility regulator if I want to push starsan/etc out of a keg. Technically, I guess, I would be able to serve 5 liquids if I added two cobra taps.

This was my thinking as well when I purchased by dual regulator setup.

Reg-1 has a 4 way manifold attached to serve & carb all at the same psi.
Reg-2 will be set up to serve Soda or other "utility" uses (High psi Force Carb, pushing liquids around, etc.) without having to mess with the pressure dialed in for Reg-1

Latest posts

Back