Lawnmower Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidRex

Reaction score
Just received my Lawnmower Ale kit from AHB. It has this pack which looks like DME, but it says "Beer Kit Add Pack". It is 24.5oz and contains corn sugar, malto dextrin and yeast hulls. If I were to make this again, I guess I would have to order it because there is no way to tell what concentrations are in that pack right? Unless this comes with every kit and someone figured it out...:D

Don't quote me on this, but I believe that is the 1% ABV increase "add-on" that you can request in any of AHB's kits. I always pass on the 1% increase b/c I just don't like the idea of adding plain ol' sugar to my extract recipes, so I can't guarentee it.

Either way, I'm guessing it is mostly just corn sugar and some maltodextrin, but the only way you will figure out the proportion is probably by asking them (if they are willing to divulge).

Either way, it is not necessary IMO for any recipe. You could brew the lawnmower ale without that and it would be just fine (maybe better b/c all malt?). For a lawnmower ale, I'm not quite sure why you would want to increase ABV anyway; it's supposed to be an easy drinker...

I did not get the alcohol boost. It's a pretty big pack at 24.5oz though. I wish I knew the concentrations of some of the stuff in there so I could at least adjust the recipe later.

Yeast hull are not a fining but a yeast nutrient. Some folks use brewers/nutritional yeast from natural food shops as a yeast nutrient (think servomyces) as it's the same thing as the hulls.

Back