Headspace in Flanders Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WorryWort

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm brewing a Flanders' Red.

I am concerned I may have too much headspace in my carboy. It's about 3/4 full. I am using the oak peg method, but also, the peg is not touching the beer, either, because it's so far down.

I am worried that this may cause too much vinegar/acetic acid creation from acetobacter activity.

Thoughts?

I wouldnt worry about the headspace, a nice thick pellicle of brett should form on top and slow the transfer of O2 into the wort

Also, assuming you pitched roeselare, you dont have to worry about aceto, because there isnt any in the blend, but if you added sour beer dregs thats a different story

From the Wyeast site...

Contains a selection of Saccharomyces and non-Saccharomyces including Belgian-style wheat beer yeast, sherry yeast, two Brettanomyces strains and lactic acid bacteria. While this mixture does not include all possible cultures found in Belgian Lambics, it is representative of the organisms most important for the desirable flavor components of these beers as they are brewed in West Flanders.

PTN

Is heavy, visible mold normal with this yeast blend? I had a flander's red in primary for four weeks before getting around to racking it. there was a ton of mold all over the surface! I racked, and didn't worry. Now there's a small amount of mold showing on the surface in secondary.

This is my first attempt at brewing with Brett and i'm assuming that's what's causing the mold? I'm very meticulous about my sanitation. The beer looks, smells and tastes wonderful! Will the mold ever go away? I have no problem waiting on this one.

I believe you've got a pellicle, not mold. And you want a pellicle.

Is it white? Or is it fuzzy and green or black?

Well, i'm a bit colorblind and don't know if there's any green going on. It was white and fuzzy I guess. I used the same Wyeast Lambic blend that you used. Will the Pellicle ever go away?

If you are lucky it won't for a long time.

PTN

what he means is that you want a pellicle for flander's red. it should last about a year, at which point it will fall into the beer. This could take a varying amount of depending on how still the environment is.

If it tastes ready after a year and pellicle is still there you can ignore it and package the beer.

I have 10 gallons of Flanders Red in the primary now. In a week or so I will rack into the carboy and pitch White Labs Sour Mix. I would like to do the oak peg method also. Can someone explain? If the oak peg is brand new, is it ok to leave it in the beer for that long? I have also read that it is good to toast it in the oven for a few hours. So would you put the peg through the bung/cap instead of an airlock?

I would like to do the oak peg method also. Can someone explain? If the oak peg is brand new, is it ok to leave it in the beer for that long? I have also read that it is good to toast it in the oven for a few hours. So would you put the peg through the bung/cap instead of an airlock?

Yes put it through the cap, or directly into the carboy, but I don't believe that it should be IN the beer. There's no need for that if you add oak cubes. In this way you can control the amount of oak better. It's also hard to find french oak pegs.

Yes put it through the cap, or directly into the carboy, but I don't believe that it should be IN the beer. There's no need for that if you add oak cubes. In this way you can control the amount of oak better. It's also hard to find french oak pegs.

The idea of the oak peg is for oxygen transfer, not oak flavoring

The oak peg should be in the wort. It will transfer oxygen slowly, but directly. Since it's untoasted, there won't be much if any flavor imparted by it. And yeah, shove that peg through 'er bung.

The idea of the oak peg is for oxygen transfer, not oak flavoring

The oak peg should be in the wort. It will transfer oxygen slowly, but directly. Since it's untoasted, there won't be much if any flavor imparted by it. And yeah, shove that peg through 'er bung.

As noted above, the peg needs to be in contact with the beer. Without that contact, oxygen will not be drawn in via capillary action.

So if I got a brand new white oak peg, toasted it in the oven for say 3 hours, put that through the bung and maybe 4 to 5 inches in to the beer...it wouldn't be "over oaked" if it sat for 9 - 12 months?

I am planning to toast my white oak peg tomorrow for my flanders red. It is a1/2 diameter peg. I'm going to do it in my kitchen oven. Can anyone suggest a temperature and for how long. I was thinking around 250F for around 3 hours.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back