best metal band of all time (metallica not allowed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hard to decide.

Metal ---> King Diamond/Mercyful Fate.
Awesome live shows and albums are always well produced. The King IS King.

Progressive Metal ----> Tie: Fates Warning & Redemption
Prog Rock ----> Kansas
Thrash ----> Anthrax
Loudest ---> Spinal Tap
Freaking cool and under appreciated ---> Mudvayne. Lacuna Coil. Five Finger Death Punch. Straight Line Stitch. Type O Negative. Pist On. Armored Saint.

Whiners ---> Metallica.

Has anyone seen the "top 40 metal songs ever" on VH1? *puke*
Guns N Roses was like in the top 2. LAME!!!!!!!!!!

Pantera
Slayer
Sabbath
GWAR

For metal lovers out there (obviously there's 5 pages full of us) - check out a local favorite of mine. (Monty - you're local - you may know them).

Look up "Beyond The Scar" on myspace (lame - but that's how they have a free website)

4th for Maiden.

I thought these guys quit when I stopped listening to them in high school (late 80s). They're getting a 4th or 5th wind thanks to being involved with the 'guitar her' video games. Now they have TRIPLE guitar harmonies! Seriously, I went straight from these guys to bluegrass and new acoustic jazz - there's a 'quality' thread going on there.

I prefer punk to most metal, but I can't believe I haven't seen more people mention Anthrax...

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this thread, and my first thought was "Motorhead". And shame on my spellchecker for not having it in its vocabulary.

Now on the Megadeth... Sorry guys but I'd take them over Metallicrap any time now. Whoever told James he could sing should be hunted down and beaten like the bad dog he is.
I know nothing about singing, but my wife is a singer and musician. She believes Hetfield is an excellent singer. Take that for what it's worth. She's into Chris Cornell and guys like that, so I think she knows her stuff after 15 years of voice lessons.

And, tell me, whoever decided metal, good singers and harmonies were mutually exclusive.

Slayer, color me stupid but I just don't get it. :(

Thanks for bringing up Anthrax. Great stuff.

I saw slayer and lamb of god once in the same night now thats living! The whole next week I drove 95 MPH and wanted to run things over. God hates us all come on thats good quality family time.

Megadeath is bad ass all there albums are good including the last 5 that noone has heard of

i have seen them in consert 4 times and met dave once
dave is cool and much better than james

When I think metal I want to hear machine gun drumming- killer rifs and hardcore melody-

Lamb of God
Disturbed-
I killed the Prom Queen
36 Crazy Fist

+1 on Pantera! I hadn't listened to them in awhile...

talk about all great albums (except for their last one!)

What ever happened to Phil? He was in another group for awhile, but then I haven't much from him.

And poor dimebag....

+1 Maiden. But *if* they were metal.... AC/DC! Man I wish I could afford tickets....

Thought I'd catch more shiite on AC/DC but back in the EARLY 80's they were considered metal. Rolling Stone actually called their style "heavy metal blues" a few months after I said it first. Honest! Judas and Iron Maiden are two of my top three concert experiences and I still break out the vinyl once in a while. Remember Accept?

Thrash ----> Anthrax
Nah dude...Slayer more or less invented thrash metal. Anthrax had some decent songs, but greatest thrash band? Come on. Anal **** is better thrash than they are. Is it just me, or when you listen to Anthrax, do you think speed punk and/or early rap/rock? Decent band, great guys (met them once), but not good thrash. I'll give them the fact that they pretty much invented rap/rock, but good thrash they are not.

Now they have TRIPLE guitar harmonies!
And? Smashing Pumpkins have been doing that, or quadruple, or quintuple harmonies since the late 80s, and they're not metal in the least bit. Triple guitar harmonies are that impressive? Listen to some Dragonforce. One of their guitarists can put all of Maiden to shame.

She believes Hetfield is an excellent singer.
???? Sinatra is an "excellent" singer. Hetfield sounds like he had all of 0 seconds of training and eternally needs to take a giant dump. Zero range, and just generally not good. Not terrible, but not good at all.x Now, I haven't had any formal voice training, but hey, neither has oh, idk....99% of successful non-bubblegum-pop singers. If you want to talk about good "metal" singers, not considering sub-genre, you've got...the guy from Dragonforce, an ENORMOUS gap, the guy from Hammerfall, and then another enormous gap, then everyone else. Even if you don't like the way he sings, at least he can carry a tune, which is rare in metal, and he's got ridiculous range.

Slayer, color me stupid but I just don't get it.
I'm of the opinion that if you don't "get" Slayer, you don't "get" metal. That's the same kind of people that hate Slayer, but think screamo = awesome metal. LOL!

dave is cool and much better than james
Though I think both bands are s**t, agreed. I'd much, much rather listen to Megadeth than metallica, but hey...we're talking about metal, which metallica is not, unless overnight "soulless, meaningless, horrible "hard rock" that is trying to be something it isn't, played by entirely too old men" has evolved into a new genre of metal...but I don't think so ;). Metallica always trys to make out like they're so hard. Please! Metallica would be hard enough worth noting in the early 70s at the latest.

A couple people have mentioned Disturbed..metal (but barely..more like "pop" metal), and I thought we were talking about GOOD metal. One of the points of metal is that it's not ever supposed to be in a position to where it ever even CAN be overplayed on the radio. When soccer moms like Disturbed, you know they are fail as metal. I'm not going to lie...I hate Metallica, but they're generally talented. Disturbed is godawful. I was that good at guitar in 7th grade.

What ever happened to Phil?
Heroin. Why do you think they broke up?

METALLICA
Yes, Lars is a toolbag.
Yes, their music stopped being incredible after the black album (actually, IMO, And Justice for All was the last great Metallica album)
But everything up to the black album more than makes up for all of their stupidity of the last few years.

Big Kahuna mentioned a band not meeting the 'awesome always' test (I think that was the term).
There are a LOT of bands which can't meet that test. Slayer was incredible, but Divine Intervention and God Hates Us All were HORRIBLE. For Pantera, Cowboys From Hell was horrible cheese. Black Sabbath sucked as soon as they kicked Ozzy out.

I think when you consider their contribution to metal, Metallica is the band which has made the most significant contribution.

My personal favorites, right now are:
Slipknot
Diecast
Otep
Kataklysm

I'm of the opinion that if you don't "get" Slayer, you don't "get" metal. That's the same kind of people that hate Slayer, but think screamo = awesome metal. LOL!
Hold on there, slappy. You may be some sort of expert, at least that's how it reads, but I've been listening to metal longer than you've graced the Earth. I'm not an expert, but let's not play like your opinion is the be all and end all.

We all have our personal tastes. There is nothing subjective about this or anything else.:mad:

Slayer #1 for thrash metal

Still like Anthrax - pre John Bush- they have always been looked down upon, but Among the living is classic. Among, Peace Sells, show no mercy - the three albums that introduced me to metal. Metallica came later and lasted until right before the Black album was released.

As far as talent - Maiden beats all these guys. I never got into Dragonforce. I have never stopped listining to metal my tastes vary now days tool, floater, kyuss, which are borderline metal, but I still like to rock out to some metal.

I'm only 24 guys, so.....

Slayer and Pantera.

And I like Zombie, both the White and Robert versions.

I think we're forgetting about somebody.......

hanson.jpg

MMM Bopp!!!

I was thinking Hendrix too.

I don't think you should leave out Metallica. I am sure that Lars is not the only ****** bag in a popular band. Separate the artist from the art sort of thing.

MMM Bopp!!!

I was thinking Hendrix too.

I don't think you should leave out Metallica. I am sure that Lars is not the only ****** bag in a popular band. Separate the artist from the art sort of thing.

Very true. Look at the Gallagher brothers from Oasis.

cause of that napster business. fu lars

I vote for MOTOR HEAD:ban:

I saw them at rams head live in inner harbor like a month ago, awesome show--loud as hell..buddy lost his windows ce phone in the pit (dont ask....) but otherwise great!!!

I'm a big fan of AC/DC personally, but for some obscure references:

Manowar
Overkill
Dangerous Toys (saw them in concert with Testament)
Anyone ever heard of Lord Tracy (one album wonder)?
Killer Dwarfs

Anybody see that Metallica documentary? What a whiny bunch of turds they turned into! Jeez..... Not metal but what the heck happened to Clapton? All he plays is elevator music now. Ever since he got clean and his son died (sorry). My personal feeling is that he is wealthy enough to afford good clean consistent heroin. He can decrease the chance of an od with the consistency and some bad effects from it being pure. He can afford to always use alcohol swabs and lessen the track marks. He should start using again! Artistic sacrifice! For the people! Seriously. He used to Rock!

hard to decide.

Metal ---> King Diamond/Mercyful Fate.
Awesome live shows and albums are always well produced. The King IS King.

Progressive Metal ----> Tie: Fates Warning & Redemption
Prog Rock ----> Kansas
Thrash ----> Anthrax
Loudest ---> Spinal Tap
Freaking cool and under appreciated ---> Mudvayne. Lacuna Coil. Five Finger Death Punch. Straight Line Stitch. Type O Negative. Pist On. Armored Saint.

Whiners ---> Metallica.

agrred except for the first though they were great bands. but iron maiden is in that grouping. even thier newest album is good now that Bruce is back. BTW you missed one band there and id have to say over all the best band ever

wait for it

pink floyd:fro:

I think we're forgetting about somebody.......

hanson.jpg

haha these kids are tools. though they did pull tweens in by the hand full. when they did the mayfest here a couple years bacl all the tweeners grew up to twenties and still couldnt believe these girls were all still in love with these kids.

mmmmBop bop bop hahaha

ok i have just listened to 3 of Dragonforce and they sound allot like Maiden and some of the glam rock bands.. i can listen to these guys but they dont beat iron maiden by any means.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jgrCKhxE1s]YouTube - DragonForce - Through the Fire and Flames[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBY9Q39C1bs]YouTube - Iron Maiden - Flight Of Icarus (Music Video 1983)[/ame]

steve harris and adrian smith and on top of that you have Bruce dickensons voice and nico mcbrain slapping the skins. way under rated as a drummer. and shoot even dave murry can rip the strings.

anyway i digress. i have expended my musical tastes in the last 20 years that i can honestly say all music to me is good. but the greats are the ones i can still slip some head phones on and just listen to them in any order. i love to pull up my digital library and just tell music match to play in jukebox mode for 3 hours and include all genre and have it pick from metal to rap to classic rock to pop to country with a little frank and cash tossed in for good luck.

I am a big fan of Black Sabbath Both w/ Ronnie and OZZY, Metal? Maybe not..... But still an all time favorite.
Maybe Godsmack, Disturbed or TOOL? Can’t decide

I jumped on Slayer. I love Slayer. Hell, I have a Slayer motorcycle helmet... Sirius' Hard Attack had the 100 most metal songs countdown earlier this year. Number one was Slayer's "Rain in Blood." yeah baby!

I also love a lot of Death Metal and Black Metal but I wouldn't call any of them the best metal bands ever because although they are pushing the extremes now, they haven't been on the scene for that long.

I would have put my vote for Pantera, but have you heard their first albums??? I'm talking pre-Cowboys From Hell... That makes glam rock sound good. And glam rock ****ing sucks! There I said it....

I would have put my vote for Sepultura, but without Max, they ****ing suck. They wouldn't be half bad if they changed their name, but as long as they carry the Sepultura name without both Cavalera brothers... they are a hack.

As for Dragonforce.... They are the coolest/worst band ever, but good god can those guys play! I think they were all music teachers and decided to make a metal band that showcased all their talents. Some of their songs bring it home perfectly. Some of their songs remind me of a fight for the spotlight between all of the players. That video rules though. I love the dueling guitar solos where the one guy takes pulls off his beer waiting for his turn to shred. :rockin:

Led Zep and Sabbath deserve major respect. They inspired metal. I can't call them the best ever, but I can't deny their influence.

But wtf do I know...? :D

To me, Maiden is like the Dragonforce of the 70s. What they did was ridic then, but now so many people have done it, that you need to go further to really stand out. Maiden has/had great guitar, but its not on the level of Dragonforce. Maiden I can listen to and chill....but all the Dragonforce solos are so fast and all over the place my brain just shuts down from how awesome/fast it is. Even that "mario noise" at 3:21 was made with a guitar. A lot of Maiden solos are 2 notes taking turns. Yeah it sounds good, but not mind-blowingly so. Also gotta give Sam from Dragonforce props for drinking a beer in that vid in between his turns. The solo scene in this vid is pretty funny

I am a big fan of Black Sabbath Both w/ Ronnie and OZZY, Metal? Maybe not....
Finally someone mentions Dio :). Whatcha mean maybe not? Sabbath was the first metal band all the way.

As far as Slayer goes...personally I liked God Hates Us All I guess that makes me the only one lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ LOL! "It goes to eleven"

But yeah, a bunch of the bands mentioned could've been considered "metal" for the time they were around. I hate to break it to some of the "seasoned" HBTers but there's different metal now, than then. And even then there are many cross-over type bands (metal and _____ fill in the blank). Slayer, Pantera, etc are metal.

As I lay Dying is pretty darn good

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AnEVnqEss4]YouTube - As I Lay Dying - 94 hours[/ame]

Their bass player is Chuck Norris' son, c'mon, you cant go wrong!

Another one is, meh, DragonForce. They are like "epic, knights in shining armor" metal but, meh, i guess:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywxm6zLEjFY]YouTube - DragonForce - Operation Ground And Pound[/ame]

Lamb of God is pretty metal

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOWB6rmSd4I]YouTube - Lamb of God - Laid to Rest[/ame]

And lastly Unearth, They are Metal/HARDcore

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnubiAyN-6o]YouTube - Unearth- Giles[/ame]

That is all.

EDIT: Holy crap! 6 posts flew in before mine. Too slow i guess.

I would have put my vote for Pantera, but have you heard their first albums??? I'm talking pre-Cowboys From Hell... That makes glam rock sound good. And glam rock ****ing sucks! There I said it....

I would have put my vote for Sepultura, but without Max, they ****ing suck. They wouldn't be half bad if they changed their name, but as long as they carry the Sepultura name without both Cavalera brothers... they are a hack.

:D

++ Have you seen the pics of dime during those years??? WTF was that. I do like everything after Cowboys (inclusive), but I actually like the stuff after Vulger the best. Cowboys and Vulger were too much of the canned metal from the late 80's early 90's. Once they found there sound it was cool because it was different, and man it was brutal.

I think Max was what made Sepultura. I like some of the Soulfly - mainly the vocals.

Back