India Chai Spice Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
Getting started with fermenting, I decided to try with what I had available in the pantry. So I steeped 4 bags of chai spiced tea in ~1L of hot water then threw it into a 2L boiling flask. Then added a handful of raisins and 2 cups of sugar. Then topped off with boiled water and cooled. Pitched some bakers yeast(all I had at the time) then fermented for a week.

Racked for another 2 weeks then bottled for 1 month.

I opened it tonight after chilling and I must say it is not that bad. It has a sweetness on the front end and a dry bite aftertaste from the cinnamon. I want to do this again but with grape concentrate.

It does have a yeasty flavor but I expected that. I will have a packet of dry yeast from my first batch of beer and hope to use that instead.

FYI, I was curious if the caffeine would carry through the whole process. Well, I am typing this close to 1am which confirms for me that caffeine is there :D

Back