Pacific Gem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I have, and I don't plan on using them again. The Pac Jems that I had were a high AA% and came through as very bitter. I've brewed with them 3 separate times and all 3 times my batches tasted a little on the bitter side. Be careful with those.;)I give the hop a 2 on the scale.I also didn't get any of the supposed Blackberry?!

I've used them with success and will again. I got the fairly strong berry aroma with a 20 min. addition in a wheat beer. It kinda reminded me of the breakfast cereal Frankenberry. I primarily used them as bitering hops though, typically as a first wort hop. They are potent!

One of my favorite beers used Pacific Gem.
Hop rate: All Pacific Gem 15% AA
0.75 oz @ 60 min
0.75 oz @ 20 min
0.5 oz @ 5 min
dry hop secondary w/ 1 oz

It was almost too fruity the first few weeks, but mellowed wonderfully.

Ive used them alot and they make a wounderful bittering hop for almost any style. I havnt used it as a flavour/aroma hop as i beleive the high aplha hops are breed for that reason rather than a pleasant flavour aroma. If you want to try a NZ hop thats great for flavour and aroma try Saaz D it has twice the resin content than the normal saaz.

Ive used them alot and they make a wounderful bittering hop for almost any style. I havnt used it as a flavour/aroma hop as i beleive the high aplha hops are breed for that reason rather than a pleasant flavour aroma. If you want to try a NZ hop thats great for flavour and aroma try Saaz D it has twice the resin content than the normal saaz.

Just so you know if you're looking and can't find them Saaz D is now known as Riwaka and Saaz B is now known as Motueka.

If you want to try a NZ hop thats great for flavour and aroma try Saaz D it has twice the resin content than the normal saaz.
I'd also give a big thumbs up to Nelson Sauvin hops, which I believe are also from New Zealand. They have a lovely plummy/kiwi aroma.

So far I've had great luck with them, but always in multi-hop beers. I plan to do a single-hop with Pac Gem sometime next month, to really experience its flavor profile.

I have used them in a Scottish ale as a bittering hop - only 0.25 ounces in 5 gallons - and another 0.25 ounces at 20 minutes to go. The blackberry really comes through and it fits the style well. I have heard that many brewers in the UK are using these hops because with their natural disease resistance, they do not need any pesticides, and pesticide-free ingredients in beer are becoming a popular idea in parts of the UK from what I have read.

Back