Belgium imperial stout for beginners.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looneybomber

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 3787
Yeast Starter
Yeast cake
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
EC1118 (bottling)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Black
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3wks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1mo
Tasting Notes
It\\'s the best homebrew according to family/friends; Malty, rich, chocolatey, etc...
I brewed this in May of '12. It's fantastic and easy for a beginner. It was my 2nd non-Mr.Beer brew.

Ingredients.
1st step: Buy the Northern Brew imperial stout kit.
2nd step: Buy 3.3lbs dark LME, 0.5lb Special B, 2oz medium toasted oak cubes, and unsweetened baker's chocolate at the grocery store. Getting some yeast nutrient would be helpful too, but I didn't use any.

Boiling.
Follow the directions provided with the NB imperial stout kit, but then make these modifications.
-0.5lbs of Special B gets included with the other 1.5lbs of steeping grains.
-Use all 2oz of Summit hops at 60min.
-Use all 2oz of Cascade hops at 30min.
-Add 4oz baker's chocolate squares at 10min.
-Add 9.3lbs of LME at flame out (or 15min if you like).

Primary Fermentation.
Follow the NB directions, but you will need a lot of yeast. What's easier than making a 3-4L starter? Using a yeast cake! I brewed a triple with some Wyeast 3787, and then racked this wort on top of it. It is over pitching, but you won't have to worry about stuck fermentation. Also, 3787 foams like crazy, so unless you have an 8g fermenter, you're going to get krausen in your air lock. Use a blow-off tube if using a 6.5g fermenter.

Temp.
Keep it around the mid-upper 60's towards the beginning of fermentation and then let it warm into the 70's towards the end if you can. When I brewed mine, I had it in the basement, in a container of water right around 67.

Secondary Fermentation.
At 3wks, I racked to secondary, well after fermentation stopped. I added 2oz oak soaked in 8oz whiskey. I poured the whole thing in and let it sit for 3-4wks, depending on taste.

Bottling.
Follow NB directions with sugar and bottling, but I will add that you will probably want to add some rehydrated EC1118 yeast in order to get this to carb. When I bottled, mine didn't carb, so I had to later pop all the caps, drip in a little EC1118 yeast slurry, and recap. It carbed fine after that.

To do this, buy some EC1118 ($1) and follow the directions on the package. Add the rehydrated yeast to the bottling bucket with the sugar. Don't add this to hot sugar water or it will kill the yeast. Once you rack the beer into the bucket, gently stir it up.

Aging.
I brewed this on May 25th, 2012 and 8mo later it was fantastic! Don't drink before 5mo if you can help it.

Notes.
Since brewing this stout, I've brewed three other stouts and a porter, and if I had to pick one to keep around as a "house stout" this one would be it. And being that it's extract, it's super easy to brew. In secondary, other good things to try might be cacoa nibs, cherries, dates, red peppers, or coffee? It's homebrew, get creative.

Use one plastic bottle when bottling this batch in order to check carb levels. Squeeze it, and if it's getting hard, it's getting carbed.

Back