Does anyone use anything to cover your carboys during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Cat

Reaction score
I've gotten into the habit of covering my carboys with t-shirts to cover light from getting to my brew since I don't have the luck of having a cellar or an empty closet that i can use for my brews.. Was wondering if others do the same and what they use and for how long?

I even cover my wines when there exposed to light in the Carboy. Beers I usually have them in my fermenting fridge with a temp controller so they get no light

Best place I have to store mine is on carpet, so I put a towel town and then cover the carboy with the excess towel.

I cut a hole in the bottom of the box that the carboy came in and just invert it over top when it is fermenting (wine or beer.) For the other carboy (no box) I wrap it with an oversized towel - big enough to wrap it and block all light.

Black garbage bag draped over the fermenter, with a hole cut in the bottom for the airlock to poke through.

WHEN I was using carboys I would hide them from the light. Now that I ferment in adapted sanke kegs I have no need to do anything like that. Try to see light through solid stainless steel. :D

BTW, since I ferment in the basement, I guess my fermenters are covered by the house. :rockin:

+1 to t-shirts! I lost a little weight and had a bunch of old t-shirts that I couldn't bring myself to throw out on account of their awesomeness (atari, zelda, etc), now they are carboy covers!

I use an ale pail & a cooper's micro brew fermenters that I cover with dark tee shirts,an old CPO,or a velvet smoking jacket the bloody dog chewed on. Depends on the time of year.

I use old zip up hoodies and the like, just wrap the carboy up in it. I also store them in a closet, but like the extra insurance.

I just cut a hole in the bottom of a brown paper grocery bag. Fits perfectly.

I'm using a cooler/ferm chamber but I used to use towels and t-shirts...still do sometimes when the pipeline is getting backed up

Wife has decided to make me a six pack of sleeves so that I stop using t-shirts lol I will post pictures as soon as she makes them

I use hoodies unless they're in the swamp cooler, at which point the top is covered with blankets.

This isn't mine, but someone posted this on here a while back (don't remember who). Thought it was awesome and saved the photo.

bwahahaha.jpg

Back