My first brewing injury!! Pic....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punk_rockin2001

Reaction score
Well after many years of brewing I finally suffered my first casualty... I turned on the water to my immersion chiller like I've done so many times, but this time there was an odd event. The water coming out of the chiller shot out violently for just a second, almost like it was sneezing. The force of the water caused the hose to turn around 180 degrees and shoot my foot w/212 degree water! This is the result after about 20 minutes... I've never had this happen before, and I'll sure as HELL never be in a position for this to happen again. I'm just glad it was me.

2012-09-25 19.17.06.jpg

2012-09-25 19.28.29.jpg

Ouch...That sucks. Reason why I turn on my water very slowly to get all the air out and hold the exit side with gloves.

That looks painful. Hope it heals quickly.

Well after many years of brewing I finally suffered my first casualty...

One time I had placed the IC into the boil for the last 15 minutes to sanitize. The water in hose and outlet hose were attached. Wasn't paying attention and smelled something burning. The outlet hose had dropped to close to the flame and was on fire. Now I tie it to the top of the keggle for that last 15 minutes.

I'm sorry that happened to you, I wish you a speedy recovery.

But thank you for posting about this, so I can make sure it doesn't happen to me.

Hope you heal up fast. Another remedy for soothing is to immediately grab out the plain yellow mustard, slather it on and wrap with gauze. It will minimize the blistering, take out the pain from the burn and promote healing. Sounds weird but it works like a charm.

Yep I try to empty my Chiller after use so there isn't as much water left inside of it. However when I stick it in the boil it always STILL finds enough in there to spit scalding water. Bummer man, take care!!

Pretty much same thing happened to me but i had turned my back on the keggle and instantaneously hot water shot out on the back of my head, behind my ear, and shoulder blade area. I use my concrete steps as a stand and its about head height. Ouch!

Ouch! Man, that sucks. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

I recently spilled some hot, but not boiling, sparge water on my bare foot. Spent the next 20 minutes pressing my foot up against the wonderfully cold propane tank.

Owww...

I just assembled an IC (obtaining my first brewing injury: a hyperextended thumb!) and have been contemplating rigging something up to keep the exhaust hose aimed at the sink. I've got it arranged so I can run the hoses from my sink to my stove so there's no more carrying gallons of boiling wort, but I'm worried that the hose will pop out. I think it may be as simple as cable-tying it to the intake hose, but I might try something more elegant.

I have done this exact thing myself. soaked through my shoe and sock and right on top of my foot. 2nd degree burn that took about 5weeks to fully heal up. was impossible to wear anything but sandals for quite a while. I now use my immersion chiller as a pre chiller for my counter flow chiller (thats a mouthful there). I definitely didn't go to no dam doctor though. What are they going to do for you anyways? blow on it?
Bet thats the last time this happens to you though. Here's to getting healed up.
:mug:

I've got similar tales. The worst burn I got from water was when I decided to lift up the lid of my MLT as I was filling it with some 180 degree water. (At least it wasn't boiling). I picked up the lid with both hands, the loc-line tubing I use was curled, and so I shot the hot water right at my chest.

I dropped the lid, and starting tearing off my clothes and ran cold water on my chest. Not easy in a bathroom sink. I now have a scar on my left boob from when the blisters went away.

I've burned my legs and hands, too. because I'm incredibly stupid and not secured hoses or I've touched things to see if they're hot. :drunk:

Nasty! Yeah, cover that thing up and watch for infection.. and yes might want to go to your local doctor (who will be able to clean and dress better)

Thanks for posting though, your pain is my gain as I will watch for that one!

Are you going to pop the blister and post the video?

I was going to say same. I always lance my blisters. Get's them over with and the skin underneath can dry out and heal quicker. Of course, liberally apply some antiseptic/antibiotic to it afterwards, but I can't go through life with a pus sack on me.

Back