First mead, and first experience with Wyeast 4184....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spark_plug

Reaction score
So deciding to try my hand at mead making. I thought a Pineapple/Apple combo would turn out quite nice. I read a lot of people saying that 4184 got stuck easily, but it seems I had a different experience.

My recipe is as follows.
2 gallons of Pineapple juice
2 Gallons of Pure apple juice
9lbs of unpasteurized wild flower honey
Heated up around a gallon +/- of water to dissolve my honey (topped up to 5Gal with juice)
5tbsp of Nutrient
2tbsp of energizer
Wyeast 4184 sweet mead.

Now from wyeast labs website, they claim it will give me 11% abv and 2-3% residual sugars remaining.

My OG was 1.100 so I prepped my yeast prior, and tossed in my nutrient and energizer whipped it up, and pitched my yeast. Within 24hrs it was fermenting hard, had super foam action, and the temps of the must stayed consistently 2 degrees above the room temperature. I was impressed, so I thought after a week I will add more nutrient and energizer. So at day 7 it had fizzed down and I put more in. 3 days later it was still doing nothing. So I checked my gravity, and sure enough it was 1.010. So should it have chewed through that much honey that quickly? My beers that I add honey to, seem to take a long time to get through just a couple lbs of honey.

Is this normal for 4184 to work that quickly?

So deciding to try my hand at mead making. I thought a Pineapple/Apple combo would turn out quite nice. I read a lot of people saying that 4184 got stuck easily, but it seems I had a different experience.

My recipe is as follows.
2 gallons of Pineapple juice
2 Gallons of Pure apple juice
9lbs of unpasteurized wild flower honey
Heated up around a gallon +/- of water to dissolve my honey (topped up to 5Gal with juice)
5tbsp of Nutrient
2tbsp of energizer
Wyeast 4184 sweet mead.

Now from wyeast labs website, they claim it will give me 11% abv and 2-3% residual sugars remaining.

My OG was 1.100 so I prepped my yeast prior, and tossed in my nutrient and energizer whipped it up, and pitched my yeast. Within 24hrs it was fermenting hard, had super foam action, and the temps of the must stayed consistently 2 degrees above the room temperature. I was impressed, so I thought after a week I will add more nutrient and energizer. So at day 7 it had fizzed down and I put more in. 3 days later it was still doing nothing. So I checked my gravity, and sure enough it was 1.010. So should it have chewed through that much honey that quickly? My beers that I add honey to, seem to take a long time to get through just a couple lbs of honey.

Is this normal for 4184 to work that quickly?
There's no real guide time for any yeast to work and do it's thing. To be honest, you're lucky that it worked straight away. That yeast is very finicky and is known to be a PITA.

Plus, AFAIK, it's got a rated tolerance of 11% ABV, yet a 90 point drop like you mention equates to 12.2% ABV.

The fact it did it's thing quickly, just says that you mixed a must and it was balanced to the yeasts pleasure and it couldn't eat enough of it.......

Don't worry that it fermented quickly, just carry on with whatever you intend finishing it with. If it's passed it's alcohol tolerance already, it may still be working away slowly, or the yeast might have already died off.

I'd say just leave it be and let it drop a sediment before racking etc......

Well done with it thus far......

That sounds good to me, I just wasn't to sure what to think when it went so fast. Thinking about adding a cherry concentrate possibly for some extra flavor. So I'm going to rack it fairly soon and put it away in the basement to age a few weeks and think on it. :mug:

knock on wood, mark it on a calendar, blog about it and be excited that you had 4184 work so effortlessly for you, perhaps it was the types of sugar since you made more of a cyser than a standard mead, the fructose from apples and pineapples burn up easier than the variety sugars in honey and since you had more fruit juice than honey taht may have been what made it go so well for you, nice job...now how does it taste?

Back