Old Faithful Beer Bath.....Is my Surly Cynic ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkins220

Reaction score
I brewed the Surly pro Cynical series kit on Sunday, stuck it in the chamber, and have been checking it everyday. Yesterday it was fine but getting towards the airlock. Thought it would last another day but when I came home, it was spewing foam out the airlock. No biggie, rip it off and put a blowoff tube. As i removed the airlock from the stopper.......THE BEER SPEWED 100FT IN THE AIR!!!!!!!!!! (not really), but it gave me a huge shower of beer. (quite nice....but im worried about my beer) So i quickly remove the carboy from the chamber and set it outside. As i removed the stopper, beer continued to spew out the top for like 3-5 minutes. It was all foam. (I swear it was already carbonated from the pressure built up!!!!

So my question is, after it overflowed and stopped. I quickly cleaned up, spray sanatized everything, and got it back in the chamber.

Is my beer ruined? Or will the taste be off after being exposed to the air, etc? ( i know its possible, but i am looking for the likelyhood here)

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks! :confused:

no idea if you ruined your beer (I wouldn't think so) but where's the video of of faithful? :)

It's most likely fine. CO2 is heavier than oxygen and since it was under positive pressure for most of the time, it would have been very difficult for any "bugs" to have gotten in there.

Im not sure if old faithful in the face and soaked tshirt was more funny, or me getting pissed, throwing the rubber stopper against the wall, and it bouncing back and hitting my wife in the arm. You talking about a tucked tail between the legs!!! I even had to go back in with the most pitiful face you can think of and ask her to help me find it as it bounced in the yard. :eek:

I guess its good to be a man as i have a great excused. she is fully aware of how dumb i can be.... :)

:mug:

It's most likely fine. CO2 is heavier than oxygen and since it was under positive pressure for most of the time, it would have been very difficult for any "bugs" to have gotten in there.

Thanks Eu.......

It wasn't exposed for any more than a few minutes so i hope your right!

Cheers!

Back