lagering temp question-- ok to lager at 38° or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryanbibler

Reaction score
I have a kegerator that serves as both my kegerator and my method of temp-controlling my fermentations. I'm going to be brewing a lager in the next couple of weeks, and I was wondering if it would be possible to lager at 38° rather than 34° so that I can also have a keg that I'm actively drinking tapped at the same time so I don't have my kegerator tied up for the next 2-3 months. Everything I've read says I need to lager at 34° and serve at 38°; I'm just wondering what the implications would be of lagering at 38°, serving at 34°, splitting the difference at 36°, etc.

What would you recommend? Do I need to just wait until the lagering is done, drink that, and then proceed with the next brew, or is there some way I can have both going at the same time?

I think you'd be fine according to several books, including Palmer. The only lager I've done I lagered at 40 and it turned out great IMHO.

Back