Going to try Roasting my own Malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunerunner

Reaction score
I'm planning a beer that requires some dark specialty malts and I don't want to drive 106 miles round trip to the LHBS.

So, I plan on digging out my 14" cast iron skillet and roasting some Maris Otter malts. I plan on regulating the heat on a portable butane burner and maybe covering the pan and removing it only to stir the malts about every couple of minutes or so.

Wife won't let me use the oven, I guess I could use the BBQ!

Any thoughts?

well at least you're not malting, it has already been germinated so I guess you're just going for a roasty darker flavor. You can't get a malt online suitable for that? I say go the heck and see what happens. Experimentation is what home brewing is all about! Maris otter is not a cheap grain to screw with though. I would experiment with local 2row first.
Let us know how it turns out.

It's done! :mug:

Used a stainless steel deep frying pan and roasted 1 1/2 lbs of Maris Otter to about, and this is a guess, 120L; perhaps a bit darker. I got some caramelization in the pan (stirring constantly) from moisture and sugars cooking off during the process. Got what I needed without the drive and well before this weekends brew day. The grains are resting and off gassing CO2 awaiting the crush Saturday morning. :rockin:

Guess I should have taken some pics. :p

Back