how long will my beer keep

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feenaughty

Reaction score
Ok my frist brew is a irish stout all extract.after I bottle it how long will it keep?
1)my first home brew
2)frist christmas in ower new/frist house
I want to bottle it on christmas day and drink one every christmas :)

In the Dec 07 Zymurgy Charlie Papazian reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.

This is a great thread about one of our guys tasting 4-5 years of his stored brew.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/revisiting-my-classics-160672/

Beer's like wine, a lot of them improve with age....That's why stone has "vertical epic" with vintage, and people have vertical tasting parties

I made a beer that won't even be opened before 5 years go by on . https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/he...emorial-5-year-aged-barleywine-recipe-195096/

The first beer I brewed was a sweet stout. And I got 3 years out of it. But I didn't put any more bottles aside to see.

But what about freshness of hop aroma and flavor? isn't that what makes wet hopped ales so amazing? A beer recently brewed, though the sugars and alcohols might still develop, will have a tremendous hop profile.

Hop aroma and flavor will naturally decrease over time that is why real hoppy beers are ment to be consumed quickly just like a wheat beer....but he was asking about a stout. The darker and more alcohol (from my experience) will age the best.

Thank you for your help.I was thinking about adding some christmas spices in it befor I bottle it buy boiling in my priming sugar :) next I have to figer out what to brew next;p

Back