Apple Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanofreak

Reaction score
Does this make sense?

3lbs Pilsen DME
1 LB 10Lovi
4 Ounces Choc
1.5 oz Saaz (1 oz at 30 Min .5 at 1 Min)

The grains are for steeping, a little color and minor fermentable extraction. The boil will start with 3 Gallons water.

When cooled add the following into fermenter with Wort
2 Cans Apple Juice Concentrate
Top off with Apple Juice.

Wyeast German Ale Yeast

Really going for more of an Apple Beer / Cider.

OK, now that brings questions.

The 2 cans concentrate, do you think that will be too much?

Also I use much more hops, as well as more DME. I notice he states careful not to use too much hops, but do you think with the extra fermentables I will be OK?

I purposfully went with a more mild hop, really low alpha acid to keep it smooth, but does this still sound like too much?

Myself, if I wanted to make an apple beer and not a graff or a malty cider, I would just throw chunks of a strong flavored apple like Braeburn into a secondary and forgo the concentrate. It really depends how much of a beer character you want. Too much apple and you will have a pronounced acidity, which will muddle the beer character.

Myself, if I wanted to make an apple beer and not a graff or a malty cider, I would just throw chunks of a strong flavored apple like Braeburn into a secondary and forgo the concentrate. It really depends how much of a beer character you want. Too much apple and you will have a pronounced acidity, which will muddle the beer character.

Noted, thanks for the input. I may just use one can, and see how that turns out. I just don't want the apple to get lost in the other flavors either.

I just don't want the apple to get lost in the other flavors either.

You may want to stick with two cans, then. Apple flavor becomes very subdued when apple ferments. My apfelwein only semi-kinda tasted like apples for the first 2 months and didn't really get apple-y until the following month and even then it wasn't pronounced.

I wish I had this warning sooner, but oh well. I tried to keep everything else on the mild side, I used one can, and 3 gallons of juice when all was said and done. I am excited to taste the results.

Latest posts

Back