Separation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barracudamagoo

Reaction score
I didn't notice this earlier; however, when I brought my beer into the kitchen from the closet, it appears to have some separation at the top. At first I thought it was an illusion created by the curvature of the carboy; but, on closer inspection it is really there. There is a dark band at the top ~3/4" wide, then another just over 1/2" wide below it (slightly lighter), then the rest is similar in color throughout (the lightest). It is a Weizenbier (from TJOHB), with the addition of some biscuit malt. I have had it in the primary for 3 weeks, the last week to 10 days it has been in an outside closet (less than 60 degrees F) and I brought it in to warm it up for bottling. So, does anyone know what causes this? I'm not a concerned n00b, just curious to know what causes this, as I have not seen it (more accurately--noticed it) in other beers.

DUH! Thanks, I should have been smart enough to figure that one out! So what do you guys think, rack to secondary and give it another week or two; or, just bottle it up in the next day? It is a wheat beer, so I don't expect it to be super clear.

I think I'm going to just bottle it up tonight or tomorrow. It hasn't changed much, although it was only overnight, and I don't mind my wheat beer being a bit cloudy. Plus, it should just about be ready in time for Thanksgiving!

Took a gravity reading a gave it a taste test last night. SG=1.014, and it has a hint of orange to it. Not too bad, although it has a real thin, light mouthfeel to it; I was hoping for something a little fuller. I'll be bottling tonight, and will give a report around Thanksgiving.

Back