Keg order in brew rig planning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayInJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in mid Sketchup (I love this program) of a wood rig design that I'm looking at and I've come to a hitch...

Does the order of the kegs matter?

I mean since I'm going to be using a pump anyway, does it really matter to have the MLT in the middle of the Kettle and HLT?

Currently I'm using 2 pots and a cooler...and I don't plan to upgrade the cooler at this time...but I may in the future.

So I figured to set it up as Kettle - HLT - MLT so I could keep the cooler as far from the burners as possible.

I can't think of a reason why it would matter...but I wanted to check with the pros first.

Thanks.

Can't think of any reason why it should matter. I had to rearrange my keggles recently during a brew session due to a problem and while it seemed odd to me using it that way it makes no difference. And keeping the plastic MLT away from heat is a good idea.

It doesn't matter because you'll have to fire the HLT for sparge water while you're mashing and you'll fire the BK before you're done sparging. IF you heat the entire day's water in the HLT at first, the amount of heat applied for the sparge would be minimal. However, I'd provide a heat shield for the cooler in all cases.

Latest posts

Back