Clone Brews, Lindeman's Frambois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
For anyone with this book I have a question about the all grain recipe. It says to mash x, y & z grains, rice hulls and the specialty grain at 150F. My question is what are they referring to when they say "specialty grain"? Thanks.

Specialty grains should be included in the mash. The specialty grains are just basically another "type" of grain. They are used less than the base malt but are included in the total grain bill, including the rice hulls as well. Not really sure which specialty grain you're using in this brew, but things like honey or smoked malt would technically be considered a specialty grain.

Edit: I just broke out my copy of Clone Brews and it looks like the 1/2 lb. of honey malt is going to be your specialty grain. Instead of steeping like they do in the extract recipe, you'll just simply add that to the rest of your grains in the mash.

Edit: I just broke out my copy of Clone Brews and it looks like the 1/2 lb. of honey malt is going to be your specialty grain. Instead of steeping like they do in the extract recipe, you'll just simply add that to the rest of your grains in the mash.

That's what I figured...just wanted to do a sanity check. Thanks much.

Oh yeah, sorry, one more thing. I'ver heard a lot of people mention that if you're going to be making a frambois with the "bugs", you should really go out and get a dedicated secondary, siphon, etc. because it is very hard to sanitize them good enough not to risk an infection in another "clean" batch of regular beer. I would love to do this recipe but I simply don't want to go out and get another set of equipment right now to try it and don't want to risk any unwanted infections.

Back