Dry Yeast - Variety and Availability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmarsh544

Reaction score
I love the ease of working with dry yeast but lately have felt restricted on the types of dry yeast my LHBS carries. I have heard some rumors about new strains of dry yeast but I wanted to know exactly what is out there and readily available (what kinds of dry yeast) and where some of the best place to purchase dry yeast are.

Thanks for any clarification.

I mostly use dry yeast at the moment.

US-05 is my go-to ale yeast, especially when I am looking to make a "lager like" ale. Danstar Nottingham works good, too.

S-23 is my lager yeast of choice. It seems pretty stable, and I get consistent results.

I like Danstar Munich for wheat beers. It seems to give better results than WB-06.

+1 for Danstar Nottingham. It completely blows the lid off of my fermenter every time, and it's neutral - it really lets the malt shine.

US-04 creates a ton of trub, easily a quart to 1/2 gallon at the bottom of the fermenter.

Back