Simple Brewery Logo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpamDog

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have been working on finding/making a logo for my brewery "Penguin Brewing". I want something classy and simple that I can put on all my labels, I would still make individual labels for all my diffrent beers and meads and just have this logo on all of them somehow.
Here are 2 logos that I like, I really like the first one. I am just not sure if they need something brewing related (other than the brewery name or something) both are taken from out on the web (cause I have very little art skills)
penguin_logo.jpg

penguin_logo2.jpg

Any thoughts are more than welcome

SpamDog

I like the first one, but I would try and fix the orange wing. The very basic, simplistic, art is the order. Then on each individual label do a little more. The first pic is a fat bird.... beer=fat. I like it!

I like the first but I'd agree on scratching the orange wing. If you want it to be multi color try a darker one maybe? Simple gets it done

Though the first one is nice and simple, I really like the second one.
I don't think you need something brewery related in the basic logo. Once you customize the label to suit the specific beer it'll be great.

I feel like in the combination the wing becomes too dominant. It also reminds me of the top "fin" of a killer whale.
Killer-whale.jpg

I would encourage you to look at a penguins wing and mimic more of the natural shape. While i understand it is a graphic simplification it will go a long way in adding interest and celerity. It works very well in the original because it doesnt seem like you are trying to capture the way a penguin looks more represent what this particular penuin stands for represents (if that makes any sense). Its more of a caricature.
penguin.jpg

On the second one at the top with the type being two different colors it reads Pen guin, to me at least. I am in favor of simplicity of that typeface over the lettering in the combination, it becomes very busy draws and attention away from the logo.
All of that being said i really like the direction you have gone with your logo. I think that you are working along a great vein i would say add more variation in the line thickness but stick with the simplicity. Express penguin using as little as you can, which you are doing a great job of already. I would encourage you to use a sans serif font as in your second idea. This will compliment your penguins simplicity and give the logo a feeling of unity. Just my 2 cents.

I can see that first one being mashed up with a grain logo in the arm...I'll come up with a poorly shopped version of what I mean in a little bit.

Still working on some ideas for this. thanks all for the input. SWMBO likes the second one as well. As soon as I get my photoshop/illustrator reinstalled on my PC I am going to give them another once over and repost for your thoughts.

Spamdog

I like the second one the best. It would be cool to put "Penguin Brewing" going down the contours of the pengiun's back, and having the letters raise when it is near the bump on the penguins back... Just my 2 cents.. It'd be something different

PLEASE, please, pretty please

No vertical type.

big design no-no - no only does it make stupid people like me fumble over the words, but it literally slows someone down on the words they are reading because it goes against left to right, up and down....

sorry, I had to.

I like the very first logo you posted, but sans-orange wing (just make it sleek, and black maybe MAYBE some orange type)

the golden arches don't need "McDonalds" because they flash the Arches around more than they make hamburgers so keep that mindset with the penguin logo if you want to keep it elegant and simple (granted McDonalds is not elegant, but you get the ide)

PLEASE, please, pretty please

No vertical type.

big design no-no - no only does it make stupid people like me fumble over the words, but it literally slows someone down on the words they are reading because it goes against left to right, up and down....

sorry, I had to.

I like the very first logo you posted, but sans-orange wing (just make it sleek, and black maybe MAYBE some orange type)

the golden arches don't need "McDonalds" because they flash the Arches around more than they make hamburgers so keep that mindset with the penguin logo if you want to keep it elegant and simple (granted McDonalds is not elegant, but you get the ide)

Yeah, I agree. After seeing it, I realized it was bad advice, haha. Sorry! I was trying to think of something different than the normal label design.

Due to my crappy suggestion on the vertical text, here is a very crappy MS Paint mock-up of a logo/label...

3507709955_a5ecc2355f.jpg

Or maybe just have "Penguin Brewing" at the top of the oval and "[city], Vermont" at the bottom... just some other ideas to think about..

I've mentioned it before (elsewhere) I'll mention it again..

oval labels are kick ass on a brown bottle IMO (I hear they are a pain...but a pain that is worth it)

I like the feel of Sundaybrewingco's layout with the right type it would be slick and good for everything, Bottle, shirt, pen, random bumper sticker you name it, it would look slick on it - signs of a nice design. But with everything type is key.

I liked the second one best. It's simple, stylish, and rather classy. Even the position of the text is good, though I'm not fond of the two-tone text. The use of the 2 dimensional penguin logo rendered in a 3D sort of way is a bit unique & adds to the overall pic; the shadow really makes it pop. I'm not a fan of the orange, I think plain old B&W really rocks here. Just replace their text with yours, using a compatible font & you're set. That's my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

sundaybrewingco,
I appreatate the attempt, however that is way to close to this book company logo.
Penguin%20Books%20GI.jpg

I have still been messing around with the logo. nothing I really like yet, I'll keep at it

Spamdog

Refering to the original post:

First one for the Official Logo....Second for the first great brew... Kill the orange wing, make it all black on Official...My Opinion Only.

Art is great on both originals, Go basic on original, then spice it up as you have already made a statement with your awesome original brew.

Be sure to let me know where I can get my first taste of either!

Just a couple thoughts I had on looking at your logo drafts:

If you go with the text 'the gentleman's beer company' or something similar, it might be neat to put a monocle and/or tophat on the penguin, making him a distinguished gentleman.

For a brewing related image, maybe make the penguin holding a beer in one wing? Not sure how this would look on paper, but in my head it seems pretty cool!

I like that a lot Thwizzit, but I can't help but mention that my VERY FIRST instinct when I saw this scrolling down the page was that the penguin is peeing. I know penguins, much like humans, do not pee out of their chest, but I can't escape my first thought.

I can't help but mention that my VERY FIRST instinct when I saw this scrolling down the page was that the penguin is peeing.

That was actually my first thought when I was doing it as well but I had no choice based on the design I wanted to do. I tried figuring out a way around it but then decided just to do it any way :)

sundaybrewingco,
I appreatate the attempt, however that is way to close to this book company logo.
Penguin%20Books%20GI.jpg

I have still been messing around with the logo. nothing I really like yet, I'll keep at it

Spamdog

man i really like this book co logo

Back