Dead Yeast Starter ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter yesterday, with an Edinburgh Ale yeast that was at least 6 mos. beyond it's date, and 24 hrs. later, I have nothing happening.
I know that I've read about people using vials even older with good results, but this is starting to worry me. I REALLY want to brew tomorrow morning !
Should I just be patient and wait it out, or should I start over again with a different yeast strain ?

I'd give it time but keep a backup packet of notty. Chances are there are viable yeast cells in there, but they need more time to grow to pitch volumes.

Unless the vial was frozen for a few months or stored on the heat vent. Then all bets are off.

;)

I'd give it time but keep a backup packet of notty. Chances are there are viable yeast cells in there, but they need more time to grow to pitch volumes.

Unless the vial was frozen for a few months or stored on the heat vent. Then all bets are off.

;)

It was stored in my refridge the entire time.
My only other option at this point is some washed Belgian Ale yeast, but I really don't want to make another starter, in case this one does eventually pick up in time.

It can take a while. I don't know if you'll make the cutoff or not. A stirplate would help.

It can take a while. I don't know if you'll make the cutoff or not. A stirplate would help.

I'm going on 48 hrs, with no activity. I built a stir plate, but the LHBS doesn't carry stir bars, and I'm waiting to build up an order before I order one on line.

I've given up on brewing today. If I still don't have anything by tomorrow, I think I'll have to pitch it and start over again with the washed Belgian yeast.

I just pitched a starter for a Wyeast whitbread that was several months (6+) old and it took about 60 hours before the starter began to show signs of life. I would give it another day or two.

I left a vial of liquid yeast frozen for the better part of a month. It took a little over two days to see any activity. The best thing you can do is to keep it aerated and above 70 degrees until you start seeing activity.

Going on 4 days now, and still no activity. I'm giving it until tomorrow, and then I'm starting over with the washed Belgian.

Back