feel like i'm cheating...cheers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katja

Reaction score
i've been lurking here for a bit so here's my first hello to you all!

my first batch is about ready to bottle, so here goes...english IPA pack from my local supply store. i make just about everything homemade from bread to tomato sauce so i feel like i'm cheating using an extract kit. see how it turns out, i suppose! excited to be starting something new!

hello, good luck, & see you all around.

i've been lurking here for a bit so here's my first hello to you all!

my first batch is about ready to bottle, so here goes...english IPA pack from my local supply store. i make just about everything homemade from bread to tomato sauce so i feel like i'm cheating using an extract kit. see how it turns out, i suppose! excited to be starting something new!

hello, good luck, & see you all around.

Welcome!

Extract ain't cheating, but I know what you mean. It's a frame of mind thing for some people. Each to their own and all that. :)

I agree 100%, extract is not cheating and is a great way to learn the process. You can make some fantastic beer with extract and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!!! I have been doing all grain for just a few months but I will always keep extract brewing in my back pocket for a quick and easy brew day (and a bit stress free).

There's no harm in extract at all.

Wait, do you mill your own grain to make flour for your bread? Extract can make very good beer, and for some with limited equipment and/or space, it can be the only way to brew. For others, it lets them practice the rest of the process before going to All Grain. For others, it's just a faster and easier way of doing things. It's not cheating!

I have a feeling, though, that you will switch to AG brewing very soon. It's more hands on, and you have a bit more control over the process and ingredients.

Oh, yeah, welcome!

I know the feeling.....looking back to when I did extract brews it feels as though I were cheating. Brewing AG batches now feels much more rewarding. Congrats on popping your cherry! The next one will feel much better:D

Wait, do you mill your own grain to make flour for your bread?

Sometimes!!! Unfortunately I live in an apartment and have no place to permanently affix my grain mill so it's not in regular practice. Homemade all-wheat bread...mmmm....

Love the idea of experimenting with any kind of recipe but with this new hobby i'm going to temper my curiosity for a bit and try to resign myself to the sage advice of all the brewing veterans on this site. A not-so-great-cake is far less tragic than a 5 g batch of beer that has been in process for weeks! :)

katja there's some good posts on 2.5 gallon batches. You might find after a couple practice runs that you are willing to experiment at that quantity. I for one would rather ruin my beer 2.5 gallons at a time.

Back