Apfelwein eye candy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
Just opened and poured my first apfelwein today. Bottled two weeks ago. Poured just like champagne and tasted wonderful.

There's a video, which I'll link as soon as I can beat Youtube into submission.

apfelwein4.jpg

-Joe

I was scouring the web look for a Paulanar Salvator recipe and started reading some early issues of the Home Brew Digest. I noticed this posting in Digest #1. Sound familiar?

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 88 15:47:41 EST
Subject: Apple Cider Season

Now that November's rolling around ...

1. 20 litres or so of freshly pressed apple cider (juice). WITHOUT
preservatives!!
2. Champagne yeast.

Keep in primary for about a week until drops to a small number from
1.050-1.060 (read LOTS of alcohol in this one).
Rack into secondary for about 3weeks- a month.
Add a cup of sugar and bottle- drink 2 weeks later (at earliest).

Paul

Racking into a secondary with cider/apple juice has pretty much always proven to be a waste of time in my experience.

Mind explaining exactly WHY it's a waste of time, Topper?

Because it clears on its own, all you are doing is oxygenating cider when you rack it to a secondary. Also, there is no flavor offset that I have seen from sitting on yeast for any amount of time.

sweet... I'll be making some soon, there has been a run on Pasteurized 100% Apple Juice at the local Wal-Marts.... arrrrrhggg, maybe everybody is going to make a batch!

What method did you use for carbing? I've got my batch 3 weeks in now and am interested in making carbed in champagne bottles for Christmas gifts. TIA.

Because it clears on its own, all you are doing is oxygenating cider when you rack it to a secondary. Also, there is no flavor offset that I have seen from sitting on yeast for any amount of time.

Mine has been in the carboy for 1 month and is a little clearer than when I started, but still can't read thru it. How long do you wait before you add Sparkloid or some other clarifier? The recommendation from EdWort from the original recipe was 6 weeks in the carboy after making, but nothing mentioned after that.

Wait at least 6 weeks. As long as it is not cloudy, it should be good to go. It should be the same color as the apple juice you used.

I carbonate mine around 1 ounce per gallon of apfelwein.

Back