Is Beer tools right on this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inhifistereo

Reaction score
So I stopped by and talked to the friendly folks at St. Louis Wine and Beermaking and they helped me make sense of my existing stock, added a few things, and we decided on a Dunkelweizen recipe. I decided to run it through Beer Tools free Generator to get a better idea of things and here it is:

1.59 lbs. Crystal Malt 40°L
6.36 lbs. Liquid Wheat Extract info
0.6 oz. Vanguard (Pellets, 5.75 %AA) boiled 60 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 15 min.
Yeast : WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

My question is, isn't this recipe way too heavy on the Crystal? One gentleman at St. Louis Wine and Beermaking said I'd be fine with 1 lbs. of 40 Crystal. I always thought you never wanted to use anything more than a lbs. of Crystal in an extract recipe (regardless of style). I'm hoping to do a grain school within the next few months, but can anyone educate me on this?

It does seem like a lot. I just flipped to the dunkelweizen recipe in Jamil's book, and he's using 6 ounces, which is a little over a third of what your recipe has.

I mean, I think your recipe will come out fine, but it might end up fairly sweet. If that's what you want, it should work.

I just brewed a Vienna Lager with .3 lbs and it smelled sweeter than all get out so a pound and a half just seems like sugary suicide to me.

Back