ok thinking about doing something new.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Not sure how this would work out, but I read this from a brewer that works at orval.

“About Brett: 20 years ago, Brett was used just before bottling. For some reason, I decided to add Brett at the beginning of lagering. We did it for more than 15 years. With the (recent) use of a centrifuge, I decided to add Brett just before filling, which in my eyes is to go ‘back to the tradition.’”

Im thinking about doing a Trippel this summer and would like some brett character in it. I would brew this and mash really low and long trying to get the FG to a very low number. With my orval clone the brett knocked the FG down to 1.002 from 1.010. So that is .008 points.

If my math is correct adding 6 oz of corn sugar to 5 gallons adds about .003 points, so the .008 would be more than a standard bottle could handle (I think). But what about thick belgian bottles, has anyone seen how much they can handle? Has anyone seen just how much a 750 ml corked bottle can take? It seems like an interesting experiment, but don't want to have to worry about bottles going off in my house.

So lets hear some thoughts..

I don't know how much pressure the belgian bottles could handle but I'm guessing quite a bit.....you could start saving up champain/sparkling cider bottles...I know those hold a lot of pressure.

Have you seen this months Zymurgy? There's an article about Tripples, particularly the sugars used to brew it but you still might find it interesting......

I don't know how much pressure the belgian bottles could handle but I'm guessing quite a bit.....you could start saving up champain/sparkling cider bottles...I know those hold a lot of pressure.

Have you seen this months Zymurgy? There's an article about Tripples, particularly the sugars used to brew it but you still might find it interesting......

No I have not seen that, ill have to go pick up a copy. I am almost to 5 gallons worth of 750 bottles.

I am thinking they would be plenty for your purposes. Bottle one in a standard bottle, keep it under wraps (like store in a safe container or something) and do an experiment :)

I have only had one bottle bomb with Sam Adams bottles. I have had some beers ending at 1.010 and slightly higher.So why wouldnt a regular bottle hold that ?

I have only had one bottle bomb with Sam Adams bottles. I have had some beers ending at 1.010 and slightly higher.So why wouldnt a regular bottle hold that ?

He is going to be carbing in the bottle by the brett eating the residual sugars. If the brett were pitched at 1.010 and bottled, he'd und up with more than twice the volume of co2 that is typical for 5 oz corn sugar.

To the OP, I'm not sure what those bottles can hold, but do you want your tripel to be that highly carbonated? Why not pitch the brett and then bottle when the sg reaches 1.005 or 1.006? That way you can bottle safely in any vessel (12 oz for convenience, 750 mL for appearance/special occasions/etc.)

He is going to be carbing in the bottle by the brett eating the residual sugars. If the brett were pitched at 1.010 and bottled, he'd und up with more than twice the volume of co2 that is typical for 5 oz corn sugar.

To the OP, I'm not sure what those bottles can hold, but do you want your tripel to be that highly carbonated? Why not pitch the brett and then bottle when the sg reaches 1.005 or 1.006? That way you can bottle safely in any vessel (12 oz for convenience, 750 mL for appearance/special occasions/etc.)

I think that's what I have decided I might do, if I can't get the FG down low enough with regular yeast.

Back