Unpasteurized or Untreated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnirish

Reaction score
To make hard cider do you have to start with unpasteurized cider? I made several batches this fall when I was able to get unpasteurized cider fresh from the orchards but now that spring is approaching (and my cider supply is running low) I'd like to make another batch. Short of pressing 20 lbs of my own apples is there any way to make hard cider when unpasteurized cider isn't available?

Thanks.

Pasteurized is fine. It's the preservatives (like sorbate) that make it unsuitable. So, if the ingredients are juice and ascorbic acid (vitamin C), that's fine.

Is that readily available in grocery stores or do you have to go to a whole foods or organic type store to find?

Oh, it's in the grocery stores. I've used Old Orchard, I think, and Flavorite, and Tree Top.

I still think the fresh unfiltered stuff is the best (it just tastes great, even before fermentation), but the grocery store stuff works.

I agree. It's excellent fresh-pressed. Thanks for the responses. Hearing that I can find suitable cider just made my day.

Back