Sanke Kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a chance at some Sanke kegs, 3-6 for $15 a piece or 7+ for $10 a piece. I'm just learning about kegs so i went to look at them. They don't have the "ball Lock" top that you just snap the lever over and lift off. It's the valve that depresses. How do you get into these to clean and fill and are they worth the trouble from Home brewing, and will they work the the famous Sanyo Fridge?

They are not idealy suited for homebrews but they make great DIY kettles, HLTs and MLTs.

I'm sure if don't want them others on here would love them

even though they're only 5 gallons? They seem awful skinny and deep for a convenient kettle or HLT, MLT

Not to mention the plastic bottoms?

I am pretty sure that you need some special equipment to clean and fill the Sanke's. I looked at 5 last weekend and they are not going to work for the homebrewer.At least for me.

The work great for me! do a little research. The stem is not dificult to remove. Just clean and fill. They work great, and are very strong. IMHO they are less prone to leaks than corny's.

They are way less prone to leak than Corny's. Five rubber gaskets vs. one. I take apart everything but the spring and ball inside the dip tube, and it take me no time. It takes a little muscle but mostly just push and turn to get at the assembly, but removing it from the keg is the simplest. Remove the lock ring with a small screw driver and twist until the keyholes match up and remove. Very easy.

IrregularPulse said:
even though they're only 5 gallons? They seem awful skinny and deep for a convenient kettle or HLT, MLT

Not to mention the plastic bottoms?

Are you sure you aren't talking about Corny kegs?

Sounds like they're 1/6 barrel Sankes. They look similar to cornies in size and shape but they are 5.16 gal in volume.

If you don't want them, I'll buy all that your source has available.

IrregularPulse said:
I have a chance at some Sanke kegs, 3-6 for $15 a piece or 7+ for $10 a piece. I'm just learning about kegs so i went to look at them. They don't have the "ball Lock" top that you just snap the lever over and lift off. It's the valve that depresses. How do you get into these to clean and fill and are they worth the trouble from Home brewing, and will they work the the famous Sanyo Fridge?

What size are they ? I assume the 3-6 or 7+ is the quantity and not the gallons .

1/6th is tall and skinny holds 5 gallons I believe . A 1/4 is 7.5 and 1/2 is 15.5 gallons. The will all work for teh homebrewer the valve is easy to remove take the snap ring off, tap the valve counterclockwise with a punch and hammer line up the key and out it comes. I will be using a pony for my next patch.

They are the 1/6ths. 5 Gallons. I guess I will just buy a couple and if I don't like them it looks like I can always transfer them to you guys. Guess I'll buy 3.

At those prices I'd take seven...sell three or four for 20 bucks each and get yours for nothing. The sanke 1/6 kegs are a little wider than the cornies. Might take a little effort to fit two in the Sanyo. I think it can be done though...you might need to shave the plastic ribs on the inside side panels or modify the door liner so the kegs can be staggered a bit. The 1/6 kegs are 9 1/4" wide vs. 9 - 8 3/4" +- for a corny.

Here are some pics
kegs003.jpg

Keg Pic 1

kegs001.jpg

keg Pic 2

tailpiece-mfl.jpg

This is a "tail piece" that another guy who bought some off her said he was able to use for Home Brewing. any ideas on it?

IrregularPulse, How many are available? I would definitely be interested in buying as many of these Sanke kegs as your supplier has to offer. I will also pay for any shipping charges.

Weird, do they still have the other than Sanke posts? They are covered with black rubber looks like. That is just a converted Corny, but I wonder if they are custom or DIY by the brewery/whatever.

WortMonger said:
Weird, do they still have the other than Sanke posts? They are covered with black rubber looks like. That is just a converted Corny, but I wonder if they are custom or DIY by the brewery/whatever.

IrregularPulse said it was a small Brewery that is going large and moving

I bought a few even with shipping it was a great price.

ok who will be willing to pay 20 plus shipping for these? I am willing to front the money tomorrow and buy what she has left and re-distribute to first bidders. I am making money off this but have to make it worth my time to drive pick them up and ship them with gas being 100 dollars a gallon and all.. PM me. I will be shipping 1 keg per box due my box supply so expect as many boxes as kegs you order. I will be picking them up tomorrow afternoon. I believe there are apprx 10 left. first dibs and payments gets them. I prefer paypal. Make sure you PM me me before sending any money in case they are gone.

I have spent the last hour playing with the top part of a keg i cut open for a boiler. I tried hundreds of different methods to get that ring off but it didnt want to move so i looked for an alternative method and im happy i found it. The d system keg tap, if you take the black plasic piece out of the beer out top you will find a little ball in there. just take out the little ball and black peice, hook a line from the beer out which will now be your beer in to a corny keg if you want to fill fast or to a bucket with a spout so you have some pressure. If you dont have pressure it will take like an hour to fill a 1/2 keg (15 gallon). I would make sure when you try this that the gas is coming out of the gas in which mine was. Just put hot water in and moved it around while holding my thumb to the gas in and after a few seconds released and heard there air. IF YOU WORK WITH KEGS ALWAYS DE-PRESSURE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW AND IF YOUR UNSURE PULL THE RELEASE VALUE A LOT.

Back