carbonation level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
I tried a bottle of my honey wheat for the first time today, as I always try 1 after 1 week in the bottles then another at 2 and usually it's all good by week 3 if not the second. However today the beer was still pretty much flat, I've never had that before. Cap was sealed well, and it made the psss sound when I opened it, but it had no head and no carbonation.

My ideas as to why - I used gelatin to clear the beer, did this take to much yeast out and now it will take a long time/never carbonate? This beer is ~8%abv, too much for the yeast to handle?

it probably did take too much yeast out. not sure what you'd do in this situation...maybe ad a little dry yeast to each bottle and re-cap? thoughts?

I really don't want to un-cap and re-cap every one. Plus, this was supposed to be a very clear beer, don't really want to add yeast now.

I made a batch of American Pale ale a few months ago. It clarified in the secondary for one week and a lot of yeast fell out of suspension.

I bottled it and drank one after one 1 week. Completely flat. Then 2 weeks. Still flat but hissed when I opened it. 3 weeks. Still flat and a little hiss. I thought it was done for. Magically, after 5 weeks, every single beer was perfectly carbonated.

So I say, give it at least a month before you start to worry.

RAHAHB - 1 week isn't enough time to decide that it isn't going to carb. Give it 3-4 weeks before you start do anything. The fact that it psst'ed when you opened it means there are yeast, and they are doing stuff - give them some time.

Back