Steeping grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmmmmmmmmmm steeping grains

download.jpg

No. I was trying to multi task. trying to do 5 things badly. Instead of one thing badly. But. My question is/was. I striked my water at 160°. I now know I should have had it at 145°, 150°. my hydrometer, keeps reading at a finish gravity. I checked 4 times. I'm not sure if I should trash the batch. Maybe ferment longer, more yeast? I was doing a red ale, 1 gal. I'll rebrew if u must. So frustratinv are the simple mistakes. AAAAAAGGGHHHH.

No. I was trying to multi task. trying to do 5 things badly. Instead of one thing badly. But. My question is/was. I striked my water at 160°. I now know I should have had it at 145°, 150°. my hydrometer, keeps reading at a finish gravity. I checked 4 times. I'm not sure if I should trash the batch. Maybe ferment longer, more yeast? I was doing a red ale, 1 gal. I'll rebrew if u must. So frustratinv are the simple mistakes. AAAAAAGGGHHHH.

If you're steeping grains, you will get very little fermentable sugar out of them- but plenty of color and flavor.

Using strike water of 160 is fine.

What grains did you use, and how much of them? If you're making a 1 gallon batch, I assume there aren't very many grains in there. What's the recipe?

Me grains be 2 lbs. Of two row. .25 of chocolate malt, .25 Crystal 40L, special roast .25. All mixed together. I can't remember where my finish was on my hydrometer. But was reading on the finish side of hydrometerr. Not the start. Not giving me much of anything. I didn't spend much on the grains. $5 bucks. If I have to rebrew, I have to rebrew. But, wanted to know if it's worth saving.

Me grains be 2 lbs. Of two row. .25 of chocolate malt, .25 Crystal 40L, special roast .25. All mixed together. I can't remember where my finish was on my hydrometer. But was reading on the finish side of hydrometerr. Not the start. Not giving me much of anything. I didn't spend much on the grains. $5 bucks. If I have to rebrew, I have to rebrew. But, wanted to know if it's worth saving.

I am confused as to why you think this batch is ruined. Did you make wort? Did you pitch yeast into the wort? If so then you will have beer. What was the temperature of the wort when you added the yeast? What kind of yeast? Was it dry yeast or liquid? If liquid...did you make a starter? What were the fermentation temps and how long has it been fermenting? What was your OG and what does it say now? Have you tasted the beer? What does it look like, any pics?

I don't think anybody would tell you to ditch the beer and make another batch with the information you have provided thus far.

>>" my hydrometer, keeps reading at a finish gravity."

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

The *pre-boil* hydrometer reading should be fairly low. (Because there is more water so the density of the sugar, i.e. gravity is low, see?) The post-boil, pre-fermentation, i.e. Original Gravity, gravity should be high (because there is less water but the same amount of sugar). Your final gravity should be low because much of the sugar has been turned to alcohol and is gone.

The formula for calculating pre and post boil gravity should be take the gravity points (That is to remove the 1 from the gravity readings; 1.035 becomes 35 and 1.052 becomes 52 and so on) and realise Pre-boil volume * pre-boil gravity = post-boil volume * post boil gravity.

For instance. If you have an original gravity of 1.042 for a 5 gallon batch and a pre-boil volume of 6 gallons, then your pre-boil gravity should be 1.035 because 6 gallons * 35 points = 5 gallons * 42 points.

Damn. Ok. To be continued. Maybe.. I'm reading things wrong. I'mgonna go through me notes. Check everything agian. Thank you.

Or. I got ahead of myself. Measuring with a hydormeter before adding yeast????.

I'm an idiot. Worst comes to worst. I'll give er' another shot.

I think I'm making this harder on meself then need be too.

But, have not though of making the two suggested names either.

Back