Anyone find White Labs WLP051 California V a bit slow to get started?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone find White Labs WLP051 California V a bit slow to get started? This is the first time I am using this yeast and the SG has not really changed more than 3 points during the first 48 hours. It is in a room at 67 F and all three brews I have made with this seem stuck. I used Mr Malty to do a yeast starter and saw plenty of activity in the starter. It took 30 minutes with my wort chiller to go from 221 F to 95 F but then the water could not really cool much more so I brought it into the basement where it sat for 2 hours prior to reaching 67 F for pitching the yeast. I don't know if this extra lag time was a problem. I did add plenty of O2 with my ss diffusion stone.

I am considering making another 1.5 liter starter and spilitting it between these three 4 gallon batchs to try to get some activity going. Will pitching more yeast at this point damage the beer?

I use the Wyeast version of this yeast as my "house yeast" and haven't had any issues like this. I have used probably 8 times so far.

Josh

Is the Wyeast version of this 1056 or something else? Have you enjoyed the results of the Wyeast version? (I would assume so if you used it 8 times but I thought you might have opinions on fermentation temps.)

msa8967 said:
Is the Wyeast version of this 1056 or something else? Have you enjoyed the results of the Wyeast version? (I would assume so if you used it 8 times but I thought you might have opinions on fermentation temps.)

Wyeast version is 1272 and I love this yeast. I tend to keep my temps low for most yeasts as I like things clean. I have done this this yeast at 58 ambient with great results. Never gone lower than that or above 63 ambient except when I d-rest at 70.

Josh

I just brewed a pale ale with California V yeast yesterday, and Im in the same boat, no airlock activty

I just brewed a pale ale with California V yeast yesterday, and Im in the same boat, no airlock activty
Same with me. I brewed a Blonde yesterday and I haven't had any activity to this point today. Usually my fermentations are up and going pretty quick. How did you pale turn out and how long before you saw some activity?

airlock activity almost immediately after I changed my lid on my primary, I would say make sure your lid is sealed or try another lid

Back