anchoring hop vine to house?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobolstinks

Reaction score
I live in a city and don't have much of a yard. I'd like to try to grow hops maybe anchor them to the side of house (im thinking in the aluminum flashing on the roof line) is this a good idea? I've never drilled through siding and am kinda nervous at the thought. Does anyone know of information on how to fasten an eye bolt or some other anchor to the roof?

Thanks!

I put eye hook screws at the roofline, just under the shingles and then ran natural twine up to the hooks (bottom is anchored to my gas meter). They form sort of a triple Y. Train the bines around the twine, and they will twirl around and climb right up.

thanks for the replies, I'm probably over-thinking this but if i screw through the aluminum flashing wont that be a place where water can come in and over time rot wood? Do you screw the hooks through a rubber washer or something to seal the area around the screw?

My house has wood siding. I dont have that issue. You could probably silicone around it if you are worried.

Back