Anyone make starter in carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_striker

Reaction score
Let's say you don't have a stir plate and you primarily make starters to wake yeast up. Let's also say that you only make liter sized starters and you don't cold crash and decant. Can you just make your starter in the sanitized carboy that you plan on racking your wort into?

You can, but typically you don't want the starter wort in your actual batch because the flavors that develop as a result of vigorous yeast growth typically aren't quite desirable in an actual batch of beer. You can make your starter in your carboy, but you will want to decant off the starter wort while keeping the yeast. The easiest way to separate yeast from wort is to refrigerate, and if you can fit a whole carboy in your fridge, you've got one heck of a tolerant woman backing you up, so good on you.

Good luck bud

I don't bother with decanting if volume of starter is less than 10% of batch volume (suggestion by C. White in "Yeast" book).

I always make my starters in 1 gal carboy. I usually brew beer, transfer to primary and let wort in primary cool below pitching temp overnight. At same time I also fill half of 1 gal carboy for my starter and pitch yeast. By next day I have my starter going and wort cooled down so I just pitch whole thing at high krausen without decanting :) Works great!

I always make my starters in 1 gal carboy. I usually brew beer, transfer to primary and let wort in primary cool below pitching temp overnight. At same time I also fill half of 1 gal carboy for my starter and pitch yeast. By next day I have my starter going and wort cooled down so I just pitch whole thing at high krausen without decanting :) Works great!

How cool (temperature) is your wort when you have it setting overnight prior to pitching your starter?

Back