If you add ground coffee at the end of your boil...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phenry

Reaction score
Be sure to find a way to filter out those grounds before your bottling bucket, or grind the beans into a fine powder. Just got done with the most frustrating bottling session I've ever had. Bits of coffee ground would get stuck in my bottle filler's plunger every other bottle, so I'd wager it pissed about 2 bottles worth of beer onto the floor. I had to clean it out about 20 times during bottling, a PITA I don't ever want to repeat.

But the Breakfast Stout clone those grounds got added to does taste delicious.

Was it a spring loaded or pressure loaded bottling wand? Are you sure it was coffee grounds?

I have a couple of the pressure loaded wands, and they get either beer stone or hard water deposits on the seat and don't seal very well after a while. I clean them occasionally with CLR.

Pressure loaded, and I'm sure it was coffee grounds. Every time it would start sticking open I would take it off and rinse water through backwards, and sure enough one or two grounds would come out in the wash. Using a finer grind would probably solve the problem though, I just ground it to how I use it in my coffee maker without really thinking of the consequences.

When I made my coffee stout I added cold brewed coffee to the bottling bucket and I double filter that coffee. It turned out very good.

Back