Thinking about electric

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varroa

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I normally do caveman style brewing (fire) but I was thinking of doing electric in the wintertime. I am starting to plan out my setup (thanks Kal!) but I have a couple of breaker questions. First, in my brewroom/workshop/laundry room I have access to 1x120GFI outlet (the GFI is in series with the jacuzzi tub upstairs that is used twice a year), 1x220v outlet for the washer/dryer and 2x220v breakers (20 -25amp each) that use to be used for electric baseboard heaters (one is wired illegally and will most likely not be used). My question is, how powerfull (watts) of an element can I run off any of these? I was thinking of using either the washer/dryer outlet (which is 4 feet away from my brew table and already wired) to run a 240v element mounted to the side of my kettle and maybe the 120v GFI for some sort of heat stick to supplement the heating. What do you think?

how big of batches are you brewing? up to 10 gallon with 240V you shouldnt need supplemental heat, but you will want to run off a GFCI

I have to double check the amps when I get home. Kal has been talking to me via email (we live in same city and we are part of the same homebrew club) so he is giving me some ideas on what I can do. Currently I am doing 5 gallon batches but if I can get a keggle then I will move up to 10 gallons.

Back