Corn Sugar vs. Dry Rice Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey55

Reaction score
Hey,

A few month ago, I brew a LawnMower beer from my LHBS and it had Dry Rice Extract in the kit.

So, I'm wondering what's the difference between Dry Rice Extract and corn sugar as fermebtables and/or taste or anything else.

Thanks,
E

Well, the corn and rice do have slightly different tastes. But otherwise they seem to have about the same effect on the beer.

So, I know that corn sugar will "dry" the beer out.

I'm assuming that rice extract will also dry out the beer. But, will it leave a little sweet taste in it?

Thanks,
E

Not that I've ever noticed.

Thanks.

You shouldn't use much of either as fermentables (there are better alternatives), not much difference between the two for carbonation.

The kit that I brewed over the summer had 3lbs of DME, 3lbs of Dry Rice Extract, and .5lbs of Crystal Malt.

The lawnmower beer is a nice change from the porters, pale ales, and red ales I've been drinking.

My LHBS sells 3lbs of Dry Rice Extract for $10.95 and 2lbs of Corn Sugar for something like $2.60.

I figure that I would substitute sugar for the rice. It doesn't sound like there would be an issue.

E

Back