Munich Helles Dead Guy Clone (Extract & AG- see note)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I racked to a secondary for 7 days and racked into the keg 3 days ago. Had my first pull. Still young. Good beer but I am not getting the dead guy signature taste. Abv ended up at 6.5 and the color is right. Pacman yeast add definite flavor as I used wl pacific ale yeast. Like I said tastes great just not dead guy. Any thoughts.

Joe

The Pacific ale yeast definitely has a different taste than pacman (which is neutral). It's a fruity yeast, and if the temperature got above about 66 degrees, it'd be pretty fruity- totally different than Dead Guy.

doing third batch today .. modified the grain/hop bill

9 lbs 2 row pale
1.5 lbs carastan
3 lbs munich

mash @ 1.5 qts/lb @ 156

using Mt Hood instead of Perle (LHBS had no Perle) , and US-05 instead of Pacman

So, maybe this is more of a zombie-dead guy , but I think it should turn out ok

under pressure today ... had a sneak preview ... needs a bit more time..sweet like bubble gum.. (High FG ? I forgot to check !)

Local store here selling 6 packs for $12 ..

My notes show 1056 OG, and I just measured 1020 as FG ... Yooper says 1018 FG, so not too far off... this is 3rd time I have made this, and I will wait another 2 weeks..

I couldn't wait...2weeks primary and 6 days in keg. It tastes great!! I too got 1020 as FG.

under pressure today ... had a sneak preview ... needs a bit more time..sweet like bubble gum.. (High FG ? I forgot to check !)

Local store here selling 6 packs for $12 ..

How did it turn out? My recipe was close to yours and I have a few weeks til it's ready.

This recipe has turned out to be a fantastic one. My wife's mom even loves it and she is NOT a beer drinker. I did get some real bubblegum esters, which is weird, but not off putting at all. Color was spot on as well. The store bought is on the left and had a bit better clarity.

How did it turn out? My recipe was close to yours and I have a few weeks til it's ready.

I am drinking it now .. it is still maturing, but will be very good..the sharp sweetness has faded and there is def more body..hope to proudly serve to brother-in-law this sunday when he comes up from Philly - a beer 'snob' (but a nice guy!) .. maybe I can talk him into starting to homebrew..he is a big fan of Southern Tier

I am drinking it now .. it is still maturing, but will be very good..the sharp sweetness has faded and there is def more body..hope to proudly serve to brother-in-law this sunday when he comes up from Philly - a beer 'snob' (but a nice guy!) .. maybe I can talk him into starting to homebrew..he is a big fan of Southern Tier

Good to know, I've got a keg available I'm just dying to put this in!

Yooper (and all that have contributed), I love this recipe! I brewed 10 gallons of this to be served at my wedding last week and it was a HUGE hit. I had beer snobs and non beer drinkers alike heaping praise on this beer all evening.

Here is a photo of this beer being enjoyed:
29888d1310841797-vintage-coleman-cooler-jockey-box-conversion-beer1.jpg

I'll be brewing this again soon to have on tap at home this fall.

Thanks!

Congrats Fall-line! This photo says it all!

I've been enjoying this beer for the last few days. Out of curiosity I compared it side-by-side to the real thing. The malt character and body seemed right on (I mashed at 157 and finished at 1.016). However, the Rogue seems a little more bitter, a little more citrusy (I know there has been disagreement on applying this term to DGA at all...), and a little hoppier on the finish. That said, my wife actually prefers the home-brew version, and since I brewed this one for her, we're happy here!

Still, if I were trying to match the Rogue exactly I would be tempted to try upping the IBU by 5-10 next time. Also, I might move the 5 minute additions to knockout since my IC takes a little while with 90 degree summer tap water in NM.

Yooper -- thanks for the great recipe and constant help on this thread!

Just sampled my first batch of this two days ago, and I had the same results as eternalhoppiness - Malt and colour are dead on, but it isn't as spicy.

I couldn't get Pacman either, or anything other than Notthingham so I used that. Though it wasn't PERFECTLY Dead Guy Ale - I was damn good! Super happy with how this turned out and I'm going to make another batch pretty soon, with a bit more Saaz.

Yooper - you are excellent!

hi guys,

I just brewed this and it is happily fermenting. I have a dilemma: to dry hop or not to dry hop?

Do you think it would be ok to do it? If yes, than what hop to use? perle and saaz? or something completely different?

I thought of 1 oz of Perle would do it....

hi guys,

I just brewed this and it is happily fermenting. I have a dilemma: to dry hop or not to dry hop?

Do you think it would be ok to do it? If yes, than what hop to use? perle and saaz? or something completely different?

I thought of 1 oz of Perle would do it....

It depends if you want a clone of DG or not. I get almost no real hops aroma out of DG, except for that small hint. If it was dryhopped, it'd definitely have a hoppier aroma. I never dryhopped anything with perle, though, so I can't say for certain what the result would be.

It depends if you want a clone of DG or not. I get almost no real hops aroma out of DG, except for that small hint. If it was dryhopped, it'd definitely have a hoppier aroma. I never dryhopped anything with perle, though, so I can't say for certain what the result would be.

yes, but the original dead guy clone kit has dry hopping hops (both perle and saaz) included, that's wha I ask...

There's definitely no dry hops in the commercial version. It would be a completely different beer since the real thing has almost no hop aroma or flavor. Go for it and let us know how it goes.

I did a PM on this one using pro rata measurements to end up with 10.5 litres(2.75Gallons US) in the FV. I had an OG of 1.072 and have maintained temperature of 18°C (64°F) for 16 days now. It has been stuck on 1.021 now for last 4 possibly 5 days. I think it must be done??
Would really like to bottle it now as have other agendas to attend to.
What do you think, would I achieve anything by leaving it for another week in primary or will it achieve the same result in the bottle?
Planning to bottle using 8gms/litre dextrose for priming given bottles are stored in a cellar that never gets above 63°F. Any thoughts appreciated.

I'd like to brew this recipe (extract) tomorrow - buying ingredients later today. Just noting it calls for specialty grains including 1 lb. of "Munich", but seems to be a steep, not a partial mash. Is this correct? I'm just now starting to learn about different grains to use in my extract batches, and note that the homebrewtalk Malts Chart indicates Munich malt has to be mashed. So do I need to mash these grains or just steep them?

Thanks for any input to help me understand this and thanks for the recipe.

I'd like to brew this recipe (extract) tomorrow - buying ingredients later today. Just noting it calls for specialty grains including 1 lb. of "Munich", but seems to be a steep, not a partial mash. Is this correct? I'm just now starting to learn about different grains to use in my extract batches, and note that the homebrewtalk Malts Chart indicates Munich malt has to be mashed. So do I need to mash these grains or just steep them?

Thanks for any input to help me understand this and thanks for the recipe.

If you follow the directions exactly as written, "steeping" with the correct amount of water at the correct temperature for the 30 minutes and then rinse as directed, that's a partial mash. The directions are for a partial mash with the Munich and crystal malts.

I've got my ingredients and am ready to brew tomorrow. I'm using the Wyeast European Ale (1338) based on Revvy's recommendation - I believe in a different thread. I tweaked the malts a bit, mostly just due to the standard sizes available to me at the Northern Brewer retail store here in Milwaukee (stopped in over my lunch break today). I'll do a starter tonight.

One additional newbie question on this beer: I noted that Rogue's version is considered a Maibock. My understanding of that style is that it is a lager, but it seems to me we are definitely talking about an ale with this recipe. I'm using ale yeast and fermenting at temps in the 60's. I'm not hung up on BJCP technicalities - am just curious what others would say because this seems more like a strong brown ale to me than a maibock.

Thanks again for the recipe and would appreciate any further insight on this.

BB

I've got my ingredients and am ready to brew tomorrow. I'm using the Wyeast European Ale (1338) based on Revvy's recommendation - I believe in a different thread. I tweaked the malts a bit, mostly just due to the standard sizes available to me at the Northern Brewer retail store here in Milwaukee (stopped in over my lunch break today). I'll do a starter tonight.

One additional newbie question on this beer: I noted that Rogue's version is considered a Maibock. My understanding of that style is that it is a lager, but it seems to me we are definitely talking about an ale with this recipe. I'm using ale yeast and fermenting at temps in the 60's. I'm not hung up on BJCP technicalities - am just curious what others would say because this seems more like a strong brown ale to me than a maibock.

Thanks again for the recipe and would appreciate any further insight on this.

BB

Rogue calls it a "maibock style ale" and of course there is no such thing! But I've fermented it at 60 degrees with pacman yeast, and found it was very lagerlike in the finish.

Yooper you are a legend.

Just cracked my first bottle and WOW it is awesome. Only been in bottle 13 days and am already regretting only doing a trial 10.5 litre batch (25 x 375ml Bottles). No prizes for guessing where I am heading first thing in the morning and what I will be brewing tomorrow.

Thanks.

Just brewed this up last night! My OG was pretty close at 1.064 and I am fermenting it with white labs california ale yeast. Looking forward to the results!

Yooper you are a legend.

Just cracked my first bottle and WOW it is awesome. Only been in bottle 13 days and am already regretting only doing a trial 10.5 litre batch (25 x 375ml Bottles). No prizes for guessing where I am heading first thing in the morning and what I will be brewing tomorrow.

Thanks.

We like it too! I'm glad your trial batch worked out so well for you. It's a nice, easy, standard beer to have on hand for yourself or even non-craft beer loving friends (although one of my friends thinks it's too "heavy" for her to drink more than one!)

I brewed the northern version and they used wyeast 1450 which I have heard you say in other threads Is your go to yeast. Is that a good sub because if it is one of your go to strains I haven't heard mention of it in this thread.

I brewed the northern version and they used wyeast 1450 which I have heard you say in other threads Is your go to yeast. Is that a good sub because if it is one of your go to strains I haven't heard mention of it in this thread.

I never thought of using it for this beer. It might work, especially if you have to ferment warmer than my preferred 60 degrees. I don't think the 1450 will ferment well, if at all, at the lower temperatures I prefer for this beer.

It was a little thick... Overly sweet.... I kept it around 68 with a swamp cooler through the whole thing but it should have been drier IMHO. Still angood one...again - not your recipie.
I had some leftover 1450'and crystal from that recipe
And did another all grain fermenting now in my freezer @
68'F through primary. I hope that one gets a little drier.
BTW.... It's a new freezer with a Ranco and my first lager is your Martzen which is my next brew to do...'maybe during the hurricane?

Yooper, just cracked my keg this week and this stuff is AWESOME! Pretty darned close to the bottle, I made mine a touch hoppier and I like it better that way.

Fermented with S05 because it was in the fridge. I need to step up to 10 gallon batches 'cause this keg isn't gonna last long!

Just bottled it tonight and the gravity sample i took was GREAT! hit the FG at 1.018 so everything is on track, can't wait to open one up!

My latest batch just came to a boil......while that's going on, I went back to the OP to check something, and noticed that the 2-row is only 10 lbs, and I had used 12......then I started scanning through, and came across the "improved" recipe with 12 lbs in it, which is where I must have gotten it in my computer.

My latest batch just came to a boil......while that's going on, I went back to the OP to check something, and noticed that the 2-row is only 10 lbs, and I had used 12......then I started scanning through, and came across the "improved" recipe with 12 lbs in it, which is where I must have gotten it in my computer.

When I first made this recipe, my efficiency was all over the place! I think you'll be perfectly fine with whatever you used, as long as you are near the OG when it's over!

When I first made this recipe, my efficiency was all over the place! I think you'll be perfectly fine with whatever you used, as long as you are near the OG when it's over!

Yeah, no worries- OG came in at 1.068, so I'm right in the zone.

I'm going to try a take on this recipe tomorrow.
My brew store was out of munich! I made a few modifications to adjust, and just cuz.
I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

8lb 2-row
2lb pils base
1.5lb caramunich
4oz Vienna
8oz crystal 60L

Perle (1 - 60min) (.25 - 30min) (.25 - 5 min)
Saaz (.25 - 5min)

1056 American Ale Yeast
I'm going to use a yeast starter and also mash at a slightly lower temp.

Turned out great! 7% ABV, the pils and caramunich did it, although I can see how the munich would have added. I'd recommend the pils/extra caramunich!

I just brewed the AG version of this yesterday.. I made a 1.5 L starter, and about 10 hours later this is what I had.

The krausen looks different than all of the other beers I've brewed. Also, I had a ton of hot and cold break, so as I was pouring from the kettle to the carboy, the wort almost looked like it had a coral reef inside of it with all the oddly shaped precipitates. I've seen break before, but this was a lot different. (maybe due to first time using whirl flock?)

image-1130107639.jpg

Back