Calculation Help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgtg

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I'm sorry....

I know that I have asked about this before. I'm kicking a dead horse here. I am mentally stuck with this. I brew with a Beer Machine fermenter (2.5 gallon capacity) I used a recipe (e\g) from my local brew master (complete 5 gallon recipe below) Brewed everything to the "tee" Today was 4 weeks bottling condition. I opened one up, looks good, smells great, no off flavors. BUT, it's "shallow" initial "up front" taste is just like it should be. "Back end" or finish is too clean. No roast malt finish. It's a dry stout. The question is, could someone get me the proper boil volume from software? I have another kit of the same ready to go and would like to get it right! Hefe is finishing primary and I fear it will be the same. I don't think the brew isn't good, mind you, I'm quite happy with it for the fourth batch. It just lacks the "punch" on the after taste...gimme a hand would someone?

Iron Rat Stout

Malt:

6.6 Dark Malt (Briesse LME)

Grains:

8oz Crystal 90
4oz Chocolate Malt
16oz Roasted Barley
4oz Black Patent
8oz Cara-Pils

Hops:

2oz Williamette (at boil)
1oz Williamette (at 30 in)

Additives:

2tsp Irish Moss
4tsp Gypsum

Yeast:

WLP004

I have a 16qt ceramic pot, boil is for 60. Steep grains etc.

Recipe calls for 1.5gl. water for boil (this is where I think I'm getting mixed up) Beer Smith tells me to go 0.39gl. for 2.5 batch size, can anyone clarify? How much is 0.39gl ?? 1.5 quarts?

I'd like to get the body this recipe is calling for.

lgtg said:
Recipe calls for 1.5gl. water for boil (this is where I think I'm getting mixed up) Beer Smith tells me to go 0.39gl. for 2.5 batch size, can anyone clarify? How much is 0.39gl ?? 1.5 quarts?

KISS--cut the recipe in half, including the boil volume. Boil .75 gallons (3 qts) and cut everything in half. That's the simplest solution and you should get exactl;y the beer your recipe was designed to create.

Back