Washed Yeast (1st Generation) with no starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cox8611

Reaction score
Hey, to see where this all started: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/swmbo-brew-day-belgian-wit-hefeweizen-one-wort-238424/

The Belgian Wit portion came out 1.090 after the honey addition, then I cut it with 2 gallons of DI water to get the right OG. It is chugging away nicely,

Since this thing was a last minute idea, i was not able to make a starter for some of my washed 3068 yeast for the hefe. I swirled up 4 full washed pints of 3068 and dilute wort of the same profile as the brew, warmed them up to room temp and pitched all 4, slurry and liquid all into the batch.

Activity is minimal, and as of last night, no krausen, not sure if there is a tiny leak in the fermenter lid/stopper. Since the LHBS is closed on monday, if no activity, will have to wait until Tuesday to buy yeast and re-pitch.

If batch is ruined, i've only lost $10 and all my samples of 3068.

Reality Check Question: If the yeast is stressed and inactive, and the sanitary method is proper for the fermenter, what is the likely hood of bacterial infection? Honestly I haven't had a lot of issues with infection unless my bottle caps were improperly sealed due to overheating them while steam sanitizing them.

Question #2: Has anyone used washed yeast and not used a starter before? What were your results?

Thanks!!
N8

How old is the washed yeast? From what I understand, hefe yeast viability tanks pretty quickly. If it's a few weeks old, it could just have lower viability and is taking a bit to get going. You just need to be prepared for a banana-bomb when it's finished, since you may have underpitched.

Yeah it was harvested back in January so i'll keep a look out for the :ban: bomb. Think if i buy a smack pack on the way home tomorrow and pitch it tomorrow night (48 hours since original pitch) I could lessen the effects?

Back