Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NUCC98

Reaction score
Hey all.....bottled my first 2-Stage batch last Thursday. Now, whenever I used a single stage setup, I had CO2 in my beer in like 3 days tops, but it's been almost a week, and I tried one last night......flat as a pancake....is it because less of the yeast made it into the bottles due to the 2-stage setup? If so, how long does it usually take?

Janx said:
How did you transfer from fermentor to bottles?

How long had the beer been in the secondary?

Janx

Beeer was in primary for one week, and I bottled last Thursday, so it's been about 6 days....

Hmm...seems like it should have plenty of yeast in suspension given the short secondary time.

Did you rack into a different container to add priming sugar or bottle straight from the secondary? I always liked to rack to a bottling container because inevitably some yeast got sucked off the bottom, and it always seemed to be enough. You really don't need much, since it can just multiply again if need be.

It's been a long time since I bottled, but I'd guess you're almost certainly OK. Was the amount of priming sugar right for the batch size? Temp warm enough for the bottles?

Maybe you bottled other batches early and they were still fermentingwhereas this batch is truly finished?

Just some thoughts. I do remember conditioning taking 2 weeks sometimes. I'd hang in there another week or so and see what's going on then. Good luck!

Janx

Janx said:
Hmm...seems like it should have plenty of yeast in suspension given the short secondary time.

Did you rack into a different container to add priming sugar or bottle straight from the secondary? I always liked to rack to a bottling container because inevitably some yeast got sucked off the bottom, and it always seemed to be enough. You really don't need much, since it can just multiply again if need be.

It's been a long time since I bottled, but I'd guess you're almost certainly OK. Was the amount of priming sugar right for the batch size? Temp warm enough for the bottles?

Maybe you bottled other batches early and they were still fermentingwhereas this batch is truly finished?

Just some thoughts. I do remember conditioning taking 2 weeks sometimes. I'd hang in there another week or so and see what's going on then. Good luck!

Janx

Thanks for the info!!! I racked to a bottling bucket from my secondary (5 gal. glass carboy). I had put one bottle straight into the fridge, and that was the one that was real flat. I had one from the batch that I'm keeping in the stairs to my attic (slightly warmer than the fridge) and I was getting a little *hiss* when I cracked it open, so maybe another couple of days.....

I had put one bottle straight into the fridge, and that was the one that was real flat.
You put the yeast to sleep when you put it in the fridge, it needs to sit at ~ room temp 70-75 to carbonate.

Absolutely...smorris is right. Let it sit in a warm place and condition. Remember, there is a little more fermentation that needs to happen and it can't happen in the cold. Patience, young Skywalker ;)

Janx

Back