Couple questions (Chilling wort in reefer, autoclaving corny kegs)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketBroom

Reaction score
Greetings all,
I'm getting ready to start my first extract brew in a few days but have a few questions on wort chilling.

I plan on doing my full boil in a stainless steel pressure cooker and was wondering if I could get it cooled down fast enough if I capped it, let it build up a tiny bit of pressure and then moved it into a 20 foot reefer set at 35f.
I could also have the lid on looser or stir it inside but there is a fair amount of airflow in these coolers.

If that won't work I can build an immersion chiller but that would force me to cool it in an outdoor environment.

I've done some searching about autoclaving corny kegs and there are a few posts that say you can but I was wondering about the details of autoclaving them. Do you throw the whole thing in or do you have to separate some of the components (like the orings).

Thanks

i would fill a large tub of water the day before hand in the reefer, so you can set the pot in that

Back