Painting my Keggles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrecked

Reaction score
Hello all,

I did my customary search on the topic and didn't find anything, so here I am to ask the question.

Is painting my keggles a good idea or a bad idea?

I am working on a limited time / budget for my brew stand setup and I wanted to polish my keggles, but time and money will not allow this right now. I was thinking of using some header paint to paint my keggles to add some color to my build. Basically I would leave the bottom and top 3-4" unpainted and paint the rest and maybe stencil on some graphics.

Does anyone see a problem with this?

Thanks,

Wrecked

I used header paint on the outside of my BBQ to touch up rust spots. If it holds up to the 800+ F on my grill I'm sure it can 212-300 regime.

Not sure why you would want to paint Stainless steel. especially if you are on a budget. But I am sure it's possible

Not sure why you would want to paint Stainless steel. especially if you are on a budget. But I am sure it's possible

I was just weighing the cost of materials to polish vs painting and it seems I can paint them cheaper and still attain some uniqueness to my build. I am not sure how long it takes per keg to polish, but I am sure at my garages temp of 115 degrees, it is longer than I wanna spend :p

I was just weight the cost of materials to polish vs painting and it seems I can paint them cheaper and still attain some uniqueness to my build. I am not sure how long it takes per keg to polish, but I am sure at my garages temp of 115 degrees, it is longer than I wanna spend :p

wasn't trying to sound mean. Just curious. Personally - I could care less what my keggle looks like as long as I can make beer with it. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

If polishing is your preference, I'd just wait a couple of months, save up and do it right. If you paint them now and then decide to polish later, it's just that much more work you're making for yourself removing the paint. How much does polishing cost anyways, especially if you borrow tools from someone (or even rent)???

Either way, good luck :mug:

Get some good Scotch Brite pads at the hardware store (not the kitchen kind) and clean up the kegs using one direction. It gives a nice clean brushed appearance and is one step closer to polishing later. Paint would be a pain in the arse to strip off later.

Get some good Scotch Brite pads at the hardware store (not the kitchen kind) and clean up the kegs using one direction. It gives a nice clean brushed appearance and is one step closer to polishing later. Paint would be a pain in the arse to strip off later.

The consensus I am getting says to stay away from the paint. I think you all may be right, I will do the Scotch Brite for now and maybe polish them in the future. Thanks all :mug:

Back