Extreme Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
Just bought "Extreme Brewing: An Enthusiast's Guide to Brewing Craft Beer at Home
by Sam Calagione".

Was wondering what everyone thought of it? I am enjoying it, looking forward to brewing some of the recipes in the book.

I saw the recipes he had in BYO a couple months ago, I didn't think to highly of some of the weird ingredients so I'm avoiding the book. Can you post some of the other recipes that aren't in the BYO?

I bought the book at one of his recent beer dinners. Great book for beginner/extract brewers. I can't wait to try some of the recipes. I'm just waiting for Santa to bring me a bigger pot so I can do a full boil. :D

Some notes/observations:
Sam seems to be more laxed about procedure. For instance, specialty grains are steeped from burner on to a certain temp. There are no instructions like steep at 150 for 30min. Seemed kind of weird at first. Also no sparging, and hardly any talk of a secondary fermentation.
Gypsum goes in everything.
All are extract.
Tons of sugar used in addition to fruit in some, but this is part of what makes it Extreme and helps get ABV's up.

Definately worth the money, and it's great for me to support the local guy. My book is signed with "Keep drinking the good ****. Cheers, Sam Caglione".

Read this article for an interesting take on "extreme" brewing. This is Ray McNeill, a very well-respected guy from Brattleboro, VT, who was kind enough to stop by and offer guidance at our little get-together.

http://www.beerscribe.com/mcneill.html

The interesting quote, for those who hate clicking, is:

During our wide-ranging, several hour conversation, we switched gears frequently to discuss a variety of topics. At one point, McNeill offered his views on the so-called 'extreme beer movement'.

"I think it's a bunch of hokey crap, by and large," he says. "With the exception of Dogfish Head, because I think that Sam (Calagione) really thinks that getting that spoiled grape juice out of the refrigerator and throwing it into a beer is a good idea. He is out there but he is genuine about it. I think that most of the other ones are just trying to make money through marketing hooey. They come up with the bizarre beers in an effort to appeal to a certain member of the public who thinks that a 21-percent (alcohol by volume) beer has got to be great. In fact, most of it sucks. So that's what I feel about the 'let's pour some maple syrup and raisins and some pineapple juice in our beer, we'll add two or three more yeast strains and store it in a Jack Daniel's barrel and then we'll put it in a cutesy little blue bottle and sell it for twenty dollars each and try and get press all around the world with it.' It's just hooey. It's PT Barnum crap. My opinion has always been, 'if you're a really good violinist, you play the violin. If you suck, you get an electric violin, and a fuzz box, and a wah-wah pedal and then no one has to know that you really suck.' For the record, and you can print this if you want, if you believe that Sam adds hops every minute for 90 minutes in his 90 Minute IPA, then I've got some beachfront property in Colorado you might be interested in. That's marketing hooey. I've only met Sam once, and I really like his beers, but that's just ridiculous."

Sorry to those of you who already saw me post this once...

I have had this discussion with coworkers before. My personal taste leans toward traditional styles, and will stretch the envelope with what I believe are tasteful additions but that's about it. Do I despise additions? No. Hey anything done properly can be tasty. But you gotta wonder about some of the stuff out there. Hey if that's your thing, it's cool...but for me there are some things better left alone. It reminds me of the interview on basicbrewing with Papazian. He was talking about your beers that are like your 'old friends'. They are simple, reliable and you keep making them. It is those really interesting beers that stand out though. Would you wanna drink them every day, probably not (most folks anyhow). But (and this is the big but) it still needs to be a quality beer. You can throw lots of off-the-wall stuff together and people will be drawn to it because of novelty, but that doesn't mean it is necessarily a good beer.

Back to the book - I haven't read the whole thing yet, but it's a fun read. It's more about the love and being creative then the technique for the most part. I'd recommend it. You probably won't go back to it over and over like Palmer's book, but it's not really the same kind of thing.

Cregar said:
Just bought "Extreme Brewing: An Enthusiast's Guide to Brewing Craft Beer at Home
by Sam Calagione".

Was wondering what everyone thought of it? I am enjoying it, looking forward to brewing some of the recipes in the book.

Extreme Brewing, is that like when you brew in a shopping cart rolling down the side of a huge hill with a bunch of wild boars at the bottom?

My understanding is that the guys at Dogfish Head have a machine that slowly pours in the hops. They don't add hops "by hand" or whatever, but it is continuous. Also, none of the Dogfish Head beers outside of the IPAs has done anything for me, and I've tried the Punkin Ale and Raison d'Etre. The 120min was really good, but you just can't enjoy it because it's too strong.

As for myself, I don't feel like making the same exact stuff that everyone else makes. I want to try some kinda out there ideas, but I'm not hung up on "extreme" beers either. I just want some novelty in my beer. Innovation and novelty is what keeps things interesting. To keep the music analogy, we'd still be listening to chanting monks if no one had ever experimented with music.

I am finding that brewing beer (for me) is all about experimenting. Same with trying different beers from around the world. I brewed three beer kits that came with everything and I was done with that. Then I ordered a bunch of bulk ingredients and am putting my own recipes together. I have completed three successful self-designed batches so far. As I tasted my first one I decided on less hops and a bit more malt on the second. My Mother-in-law brought me back what she thought was coffee from the Basque country. It turned out to be 1 pound of coffee candy from the area. I added it to an ale recipe along with a good dose of 60L crystal, targeting a dark ale with some character. It turned out awesome. My next batch, I attempted to brew a very light colored ale - I still need to bottle that one. Then I did Sam's peppercorn-rye bock to try a lager. The bottom line is that I don't want football beer and started to feel that doing the kits didn't allow me to tweak to my preference. This all makes me have a mega-itch for all grain. Home brewing is the coolest and most rewarding hobby I've ever had. Sam was probably driven by this same type itch as he developed that zopinator thing. It's all good :)

I have all the ingredients for the 60 min clone on order. I'll post results when it's done. The hardest part was finding all the ingredients. Dogfish seems to use very different ingredients. I guess that's why they are "off centered ales".

I'm really curious on how that peppercorn rye bock turns out. Definately someting different!

I brewed the Round The World ale after Extreme Ale was exerpted in BYO magazine. The post are true- some of the ingredients are very hard to find. That beer came out so good I pre-ordered the book. Interesting, well photograhed book, with too many editing problems, but contains imaginitive recipes. Brewed the Big Mama's Barley Wine a couple of weeks ago and the Imperial Pilsner today. One of the best things is book gives web site of company that sells complete kits from book. They have quick service and fair prices. If the book came out earlier I wouldn't have had to spend a week looking for Chineese Rock Sugar for the Round The World recipe.

cheers55 said:
I brewed the Round The World ale after Extreme Ale was exerpted in BYO magazine. The post are true- some of the ingredients are very hard to find. That beer came out so good I pre-ordered the book. Interesting, well photograhed book, with too many editing problems, but contains imaginitive recipes. Brewed the Big Mama's Barley Wine a couple of weeks ago and the Imperial Pilsner today. One of the best things is book gives web site of company that sells complete kits from book. They have quick service and fair prices. If the book came out earlier I wouldn't have had to spend a week looking for Chineese Rock Sugar for the Round The World recipe.

Can you post the link for those that don't have the book?

cheers55 said:
Interesting, well photograhed book, with too many editing problems, but contains imaginitive recipes.

As an editor myself, this is one thing that really bothered me, as much as I like Sam's philosophy and his beers. Oh, and he refers to sanitizing as sterilizing...:confused:

Soem recipes sound interesting and the book's a good discussion for new brewers. The theme seems to be anyone can brew, but think outside tradition and don't be afraid to experiment.

I got this from the local library, and glad i did. I just am not thrilled with it. As others have mentioned a lot of relaxation on procedures and some statements are downright contradictory. Basically tried saying that dried yeast is worthless, looked at the copyright date of 2006, maybe the dried yeast wasnt good then? Not sure, just not a huge fan.

I think it provides good inspiration for thinking outside the box, but not a good book for an intro into homebrew

I think it provides good inspiration for thinking outside the box, but not a good book for an intro into homebrew
I totally agree with this.

That said, as a more experienced brewer, I love the book. Some fantastic ideas and good recipes. I made the peppercorn-rye bock and the cranberry braggot, and both were fabulous (converted to all-grain). A friend did the kiwi wit, which was also excellent.

I would have never considered peppercorns in my beer. But the book not only had the idea, but a starting point for proportions. And the end result was surprisingly delicious.

-Joe

Like the above post, it's not a beginners book, but it's got some fun brews in there which a couple are actually very popular on this site. The two I'm speaking of are the blood orange hefeweizen found here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/blood-orange-hefeweizen-98579/ and the 60 minute IPA found here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/dogfish-head-60-minute-clone-ag-extract-25709/. I've brewed those two, the kiwit, and the most recently (on tap), I have the chamomile wheat. I wasn't too crazy about the kiwit (it just tasted like a regular wit to me, but with a little bit more of a tart flavor), but the others are great. I highly recommend the IPA (who wouldn't) and the chamomile wheat. I was a skeptic about the chamomile wheat, but it's a HUGE crowd pleaser.

All in all, would I recommend the book to a friend? Yep.

Now like said above, not a beginner friend, but an intermediate homebrewer who's got some experience under their belt would enjoy the recipes in this book.

Jacob

I've brewed a few of the recipes from Extreme Brewing and the India Brown ale is by far my favorite. I've made it a few times now, each time tweaking it slightly, and it's now a staple homebrew for me.

Highly recommend the book.

I've brewed a few of the recipes from Extreme Brewing and the India Brown ale is by far my favorite. I've made it a few times now, each time tweaking it slightly, and it's now a staple homebrew for me.

Highly recommend the book.

Do you AG brew? If so, how did you convert the dark extract? I've been wanting to brew that for a long time, but converting dark extract is a pain in the ass.

by Sam Calagione".

I brewed the wildflower wheat up for my fiance and she absolutely loved it. I'm not a big wheat beer guy, but it was still pretty good.

I've got the port barrel aged brown ale fermenting downstairs now, so I can't comment yet, but the hydro sample I had tasted promising.

I like to try new and different beers, but I would not consider really going too extreme myself. There are lots of brewers who like to experiment, and good on em, because there are also LOTS of brewers who brew "standard" recipes too.

Like the brewer at a brewpub I went to recently. I mentioned another place that makes some pretty unusual beers and this guy really started knocking the brewer and the beer. I thought, "Jealous much?" The other place has a ton of loyal customers, and the brewer is free to play and perhaps they will hit on something extraordinary. At any rate, you can drink the plain beer there if you want to, but there are already a couple of brewpubs in the area, so what is wrong with trying to be different?

Frankly, there are too many places who's beers taste just about exactly the same.

I view it the same way as Radical Brewing, it's not so much for the recipes as it is for the ideas it gives you. I haven't brewed anything from Extreme Brewing, but I have used several ideas like raisins and peppercorns. Then I combined them with my own ideas and made something different.

I also have his Brewing Up a Business, which of what I've read is more general business philosophy than about a brewput startup. Any way, in it he says that he's not the best at brewing proceedures and repeating the same beer every time. He's more into grabbing atypical ingredients and trying to combine them into a beer that is enjoyable.

Extreme Brewing will always hold a special place in my heart. Past winter while sitting in the local Barnes and Noble waiting for a movie to start, my girlfriend and I were reading books and she picked this book out for me knowing that I like to drink good craft brews. I had never even put any thought into homebrewing until i started reading this book.

i agree its not the best beginners book as far as technique goes. It has no where near the detail that How To Brew has, but its a great introduction to brweing and the ingredients. About two weeks after buying this book, I had bought my first starter kit and brewed my first beer. Now I spend more time thinking, researching, reading about beer than i do working.

I think this is a staple book that all homebrewers should have on their shelf for whatever reason. even if it is to use as a pictorial to show others the art of homebrewing.

I hope to meet Sam someday, he is a true pioneer and seems like a very level headed nice guy.

Back