Coffee Stout Formulation Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morkin

Reaction score
I've made an American Stout that was tremendous, but didn't have the silk mouth-feel that I was wanting. I am formulating a coffee stout in which I'm going to add beans to the secondary for taste.

To obtain the silky smooth mouthfeel, I was wondering if an oatmeal stout would be best, and then add 1-2 # of coffeebeans to the secondary to obtain the silky mouthfeel but also have rich coffee taste? Or:

Should I intend on brewing my American Stout, add 1-2#'s of oatmeal flakes and then do the coffee in the secondary? Any suggestions as always are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Just putting in a vote for using coffee malt instead of beans. Easier to deal with, IMO.

for the silk mouth-feel you want oats in the mash, as to the coffee I would just brew some coffee and add to the secondary :) and know it will mellow with time....

Another vote to use Kiln Coffee Malt. It's a great way to add that coffee aroma and flavor. I use 1.5# in my 10 gallon recipe, and it comes out with plenty of coffee flavor. If you're intent on using actual coffee, I suggest cold brewing a pot of coffee then adding it to the keg/bottling bucket. A french press makes this really easy:
1. Boil Water
2. Grind beans
3. Let boiled water cool
4. Add grounds and water to french press
5. Let sit covered overnight
6. Add to keg/bottling bucket

For more body and mouthfeel adding maltodextrin will work perfectly.

I have read that adding coffee beens to the secondary (or boil for that matter) tastes terrible.

Everything I have read is that you want to cold press your coffee and add it to the secondary.

I have read that adding coffee beens to the secondary (or boil for that matter) tastes terrible.

Everything I have read is that you want to cold press your coffee and add it to the secondary.

What's the difference between adding beans to cold steep in the beer and adding beans to cold steep in the water that you add to beer? I don't like the idea of adding water to already fermented beer.

I added 8oz (which was a bit much in my opinion) of crushed coffee beans to the beer, let that sit for 24 hours then bottled. Tastes great. I've never read anyone say that adding beans to the secondary tastes terrible nor have I experienced it. This is how Terrapin does it.

Just putting in a vote for using coffee malt instead of beans. Easier to deal with, IMO.

It's not ready to drink yet, but I'm brewing AHS Sessions Coffee Stout that uses coffee malt, and it sure does *smell* like fresh-brewed coffee.

What's the difference between adding beans to cold steep in the beer and adding beans to cold steep in the water that you add to beer? I don't like the idea of adding water to already fermented beer.

I added 8oz (which was a bit much in my opinion) of crushed coffee beans to the beer, let that sit for 24 hours then bottled. Tastes great. I've never read anyone say that adding beans to the secondary tastes terrible nor have I experienced it. This is how Terrapin does it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/cold-brewed-coffee-tea-144711/

This isn't the thread I was hoping to find, but there are a few posters that describe the benefits of using cold pressed coffee. The jist is that cold pressed coffee is less acidic and more of the coffee flavor will come through in the beer.

Coffee drinkers are finicky though. Some like it black and bitter, some like it sweet and creamy. If you want a bitter, cheap coffee flavor, I'm sure tossing in some grounded coffee will accomplish that. Some of us though are coffee snobs and look for something a bit more refined.

i guess i'm still not seeing the difference. you're just using the beer to steep the coffee instead of water. like i said, i don't like adding water to fermented beer and this method seemed to work for me and definately wasn't harsh or acidic.

the beans should sink. if they don't, wrap a hop sock around your racking cane before you siphon.

"You can cold brew 12 oz of coffee in 1 L of water. Cold brewing gives excellent extraction, due to the multiple days the coffee steeps.

You basically get coffee concentrate.

This allows you to add the punch of gallons of coffee to your beer without adding a whole bunch of water."

This comment can be found in the thread I linked above. I think it's another important part of the cold-press argument.

Thanks Guys! I think it sounds easiest to go with the Coffee Malt.

Also, Maltodextrin or oatmeal? Which one's eaisier? Could do an oatmeal stout with Coffee Malt, or an American Stout with coffee and Malto-dextrin. Too Many decisions!

I do All Grain.

I would like to use real coffee because of a local coffee shop wants to give me the beans for free for the use in my beer. Brew day isn't for another couple of weeks, so I may be able to formulate something by then.

Don't be scared of using coffee beans in your secondary. I did a clone of Terrapin's Wake N Bake like chefchris is talking about. I used 4oz of ground beans in the secondary for 24 hours, I put them in a grain bad/paint strainer, mine floated on top so i was able to just pull them out without any problems. It tastes great, great coffee flavor.

Back