Man, I luuuuuvs the peanut butter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturo7

Reaction score
I've just had it for breakfast and lunch, two days in a row.

On whole wheat toast for breakfast and heaped on apple slices for lunch.

wow....that was insightful, thanks for starting a thread to share that.....

back in my, um....herbal diet days (think munchies) I had a very close relationship with PB....we were almost inseparable....and the goober stuff, the mixed strawberry jam and pb in a single jar.....light up then get a spoon and empty the jar.....I killed alot of brain cells during those years, and ate alot of pb

to make it beer and/or pairing related....it might work with a fruity wheat beer with a nice bread-like quality to it.

You should try making your own peanut butter. It's significantly better than the store-bought stuff. Couldn't be simpler: 3 cups of roasted peanuts (plain, not the peanuts with spices, maltodextrin, etc.), a dollop (about a tablespoon) of honey and a three-finger pinch of kosher salt. Blend in a heavy duty blender or food processor, stopping occasionally to push the peanut butter back into the blades. If you have standard household blender or food processor you might need to add a little peanut oil to make a smooth paste. A VitaMix or Blendtec takes 5-10 minutes. A standard blender might take a little longer between pulsing and scraping down the sides. If you add oil, store the peanut butter in the fridge to keep it from separating out. This makes about 2 cups of peanut butter that has a little more texture than store-bought but isn't chunky by any stretch of the imagination. My kids have become complete peanut butter snobs :D

Chad

I have the powdered peanut butter, it's called PB2. It's fabulous, tastes just like the real thing, and so much lighter on fat and carbs! Mix it in directly with your jelly for a taste treat that will blow your mind!

You should try making your own peanut butter. It's significantly better than the store-bought stuff. Couldn't be simpler: 3 cups of roasted peanuts (plain, not the peanuts with spices, maltodextrin, etc.), a dollop (about a tablespoon) of honey and a three-finger pinch of kosher salt. Blend in a heavy duty blender or food processor, stopping occasionally to push the peanut butter back into the blades. If you have standard household blender or food processor you might need to add a little peanut oil to make a smooth paste. A VitaMix or Blendtec takes 5-10 minutes. A standard blender might take a little longer between pulsing and scraping down the sides. If you add oil, store the peanut butter in the fridge to keep it from separating out. This makes about 2 cups of peanut butter that has a little more texture than store-bought but isn't chunky by any stretch of the imagination. My kids have become complete peanut butter snobs :D

Chad

I am growing peanuts this year, not nearly enough to do much with them though. I didn't want fill the whole garden with peanuts so it is just for fun. I grew them here once before as a kid and they grew well only not enough to eat really. I planed about 100 seeds.

I like Trader Joe's PB: contains dry roasted peanuts. BP&J on a tortilla, folded over with some chocolate chips inside.

Peanut butter and honey are my go to. Nothing like slapping some peanut butter on toast and topping it all with a big old spoonful of honey.

Everything at Trader Joe's is great! Last time I was there, I ate the doors on the way out. :(

Went in one door and right out the other and placed my empty shopping cart/tote in the appropriate location.

Everything seemed way overpriced and the people shopping there were all like "darling, we need to pick up they caviar and grey pupon for the races later today!" Just can't help but get the feeling those people shopping there with full carts were just like "Ew, shop at the regular supermarket with all the common people, ew, just ew."

I can't believe people do their regular shopping there. I just went in to see if I could find something different but a lot of it was the same stuff I could find elsewhere cheaper just packaged all fancy. Seems like 75% of the stuff that could be available was not, very limited IMO.

Now even though they closed down the Zagarra's (think I spelled right) around here I still think for gourmet shopping that place was way, way better.

Now I am sure I offended no one here because you should never be offended by comments from someone you don't know or don't respect. :mug:

Oh and this was not directed at LGI or David; just replying to my opinion of TJ’s but I am sure I will hear it from TJ fans.
:)

jgln, have you ever TASTED their stuff? It is great quality gear at bargain prices. It is THE go to place for good quality cheese at a decent price, and I live near Cheese Haven, which is supposed to be a cheese mecca. I don't see that yuppy thing at all there, not in my store anyway. I call it "My store" but it's an hour away and always worth the trip.

Hey, I ain't gonna get all offended though if you don't like my favourite store. It's all horses for courses. :)

Edit: I see you are in NJ. Ohio has very few yuppies, so that might explain it a bit. ;)

Hmmm, homemade peanut butter? I may need to give that I try!

I always get the natural stuff, peanuts and salt. Laura Scudder's if I go to the box and wtfe at the LGS. (local granola store)

I thought I was the only one who liked peanut butter on apple slices. It's awesome, isn't it?

My friends look at me like I'm mentally deficient when I eat it. (Well, not that I'm not, but eating tasty food isn't a sign.)

Peter Pan creamy and golden delicious apples... mmm...

I thought I was the only one who liked peanut butter on apple slices. It's awesome, isn't it?

My friends look at me like I'm mentally deficient when I eat it. (Well, not that I'm not, but eating tasty food isn't a sign.)

Peter Pan creamy and golden delicious apples... mmm...

Peter Pan? PETER PAN!?!?!?!!

Gracious sir, I say to you come into the light!!

Give up the processed, artificial, hydrogenated-corn-syrup-infested, goo!

Get some of the good stuff, my friend. If you see anything else but peanuts and salt on the label put put down the jar and walk away slowly.

Trader Joe's around here has good wine and a really good beer selection for a store not dedicated to beer. I don't go there much though, I tend to hit Costco or Aldi more.

The co-op we stop at (yeah, we shop at the hippy store every weekend) has a machine that makes peanut butter on demand. It's just got a big hopper of plain peanuts, you flip the switch and it spits out pure peanut butter. You can always add a little sugar if you like, but it's great as it is.

My mother used to make this cake when I was a kid that I really miss. It as a banana cake with peanut butter frosting. Nothing goes better together than bananas and peanut butter.

Mmmmm peanut butter and banana. I had a peanut butter and banana sandwich for lunch the other day.

I really like the Trader Joe's salsa too. I'm lucky. Our Trader Joe's is right next to the Costco.

I could eat pb for every meal. The all natural stuff, that is.
A tablespoon on wheat toast has been my pre gym snack for 2 years. If it's not on toast, it's smeared in oatmeal. If I splurge I mix in a banana and some choco chips.
And a milkshake with a big 'ol scoop of pb, a banana, and chocolate ice cream is the best food on earth. Srsly, give it a try...

Peter Pan? PETER PAN!?!?!?!!

Gracious sir, I say to you come into the light!!

Give up the processed, artificial, hydrogenated-corn-syrup-infested, goo!

Get some of the good stuff, my friend. If you see anything else but peanuts and salt on the label put put down the jar and walk away slowly.

But... but... I really like sugar-like substances made from corn. :eek:

TJ's has quite a few excellent bargains, and of course a few stinkers.

The store near me has a wide variety of shoppers. there are very few Yuppies in my neighborhood, mostly middle class families.

The peanut butter is a staple in my home.
The Doberman loves it stuffed into a chew toy.

jgln, have you ever TASTED their stuff? It is great quality gear at bargain prices. It is THE go to place for good quality cheese at a decent price, and I live near Cheese Haven, which is supposed to be a cheese mecca. I don't see that yuppy thing at all there, not in my store anyway. I call it "My store" but it's an hour away and always worth the trip.

Hey, I ain't gonna get all offended though if you don't like my favourite store. It's all horses for courses. :)

Edit: I see you are in NJ. Ohio has very few yuppies, so that might explain it a bit. ;)

Well we didn't buy anything because we didn't see anything we were interested in and a couple things we were seemed overpriced. Overall I didn't see much that I could not have found something close to or similar somewhere else and at the time that place I mentioned called Zagarra's was still open (I do miss that place).

The area where TJ's is located is in a well to do neighborhood but not that there are not regular super markets nearby. I now live way too far away from that area (thank god) so a trip there is no longer worth it anyway. Another turn off was parking; people were sitting there waiting for someone to leave the store and then follow them to their parking spot (mainly range rovers, BMW’s and the like). We had to park like couple hundred feet away and walk. When we got there I was asking myself “why am I here?”

Over the years supermarkets seem to be carrying more cheeses than what they used to although still not like a cheese shop. Some of the best cheeses I had I brought in CA wine country but that is another story. I am not a snob by any means but I do like nice things and can appreciate fine foods but I have no problem shopping at Kmart either.

Well I need to get back to my porch sofa and finish my 30 pack of bud. :p

Back on topic.

I never really cared for peanut butter but I do like peanuts however if I go years without them I don't really crave them. I always forget and order I think it is Kung Po Chicken and it has peanuts in it, don't care for it. GF uses peanuts as rewards to train the dog. I guess they are ok for them.

Today for lunch I will have PB on apple slices again...

As well as a big honkin' stack of leftover grilled pork chops!!!!

Back