Bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrick123

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it safe to say that as long as the wine is fermenting in the Carboy and there are a lot of bubbles it is wise to stir to help release the gas?

Hi,

Is it safe to say that as long as the wine is fermenting in the Carboy and there are a lot of bubbles it is wise to stir to help release the gas?

No, you don't want to risk oxidation after the wine gets to about 1.010-1.020 or so. If the wine is still gassy when you want to bottle, you can use some campden tablets (they are an antioxidant) and stir then through the carboy opening to release the gas if it's necessary. It's rarely necessary though, as the wine will degas through the airlock with time.

Hi,

Ok...that is very helpful.

I have a hard lemonade and an apple wine that are both in that range. I will leave them alone.

Yooper,

How many tablets would you say for 5 gallons?

My hard lemonade is at 1.002 and I would love to have it ready by New Year's eve. It still has a lot of gas though

I have heard that in some cases CO2 might be detrimental to yeast metabolism so degassing may help speed up fermentation. But if there is no problem with fermentation then there's no need to degas.

Once fermentation is finished (less than SG 1.000), I rack it off the lees, then add k-meta and shake the carboy vigorously several times a day to help release the gas. The gas will be released on its own but I'm too impatient for that. Don't shake the carboy if it's glass and don't shake it if you think you might drop it. Alternatively stir it, but this takes too long for me (again - impatient).

Hi,

Thanks for that.

I thought the k-meta needed something to "grab" on to so it was not wise to rack off the lees before adding it?

Hi,

Thanks for that.

I thought the k-meta needed something to "grab" on to so it was not wise to rack off the lees before adding it?

No, I've never heard that before. The sulfites are an antioxidant and will bind with the wine so that oxygen can't. It has nothing to do with the lees, or lack of them. You want to rack OFF of the lees.

Ok, just so I'm clear.

If I want to help speed up the clearing on my hard lemonade, when the fermentation is done I should rack off the lees and then add the clarifier and shake or stir.

Ok, just so I'm clear.

If I want to help speed up the clearing on my hard lemonade, when the fermentation is done I should rack off the lees and then add the clarifier and shake or stir.

I've never done that, as the clarifiers I've used in the past are more for "still" additions. But I think the SuperKleer finings do require some stirring. The instructions are on the package.

Ok... I guess I was not clear that I had to rack off the lees first. I will do that.

Seems to still have a lot of "fiz" for almost being done fermenting.

Crossing my fingers it will be ready for new years eve. :)

For speedy finish you could cold crash the yeast. Put it outside where it's cold (not freezing hopefully), this will cause the yeast to fall from suspension more quickly. Then rack it off.

Latest posts

Back