Mini Fridge kegerator running too cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
Hi

I am converting the GE WMR04GAVBB 4.5 cu. ft. compact fridge into a keggerator.

I had to move the thermostat and have done so. I am though, finding that the refrigerator is running too cold. It is getting down to 20F. When I test ran it before the modification it ran at my serving temp of 45F.

Any ideas why it won't run correctly now?

What did you modify?

Just moves the thermostat? Try an eBay controller maybe?

What did you modify?

Just moves the thermostat? Try an eBay controller maybe?

To make room for the kegs, I needed to move the thermostat from the front of the unit to the rear. To do so, I had to lengthen the electrical wires. I clipped them added a foot of wire and reattached them.

Sounds like the sensor for the t-stat has moved.

Yes. I had turned the freezer part, the plate that held the gas down. The sensor had been attached to it. So now I took the sensor and placed it back on that plate. The temperature is rising and the compressor has not kicked on. I should know in the morning if that is the fix.

Yes. I had turned the freezer part, the plate that held the gas down. The sensor had been attached to it. So now I took the sensor and placed it back on that plate. The temperature is rising and the compressor has not kicked on. I should know in the morning if that is the fix.

I took off for the weekend so the refrig sat for a couple of days unopened. I got home and the temperature is 39F.

I had hoped for about 45F. I can live with colder beer though.

Could it be that the thermostats temperature prob was set up so that the length of the prob, 12", was touched by the freezer compartment and I changed that so now only the tip of the probe touches the freezer panel? Would that make a difference?

Yes the more in contact the more accurate the temp you can also adjust the temp by turning the temp adjustment screw

Not going to be easy as there is about 12"s of temp probe to reattach to the freezer plate. I may try using some clamps until I can see it working.

But do tell more please about that, "temperature adjustment screw". I seem to have either on or off right now. Are you saying I can readjust the whole system at a turn of the screw? Where would one find that screw?

Thanks

[...]But do tell more please about that, "temperature adjustment screw". I seem to have either on or off right now. Are you saying I can readjust the whole system at a turn of the screw? Where would one find that screw?

Thanks

Probably came from this thread.

But I'm not sure it's on target for your issue. I'd just find a way to get the probe back in full contact with the cold plate...

Cheers!

To make room for the kegs, I needed to move the thermostat from the front of the unit to the rear. To do so, I had to lengthen the electrical wires. I clipped them added a foot of wire and reattached them.

some thermostats measure the resistance between two wires. if you added length to the wires you probably changed the resistance. if you can find a place to move it to where you can have shorter wires it may get better.

This issue is resolved:

When I moved the thermostat I also moved the probe That takes the temperature.

It is about a 12" probe that wove its way arount the chill plate of the freezer. Long story short is that probe needs to have as much contact with the freezer plate to function properly. I had moved most of the probe off of the freezer and it no longer operated well.

Once I redisned the system so that the probe had more contact with the freezer all became well.

Ha. Had this exact problem with the same model. Tried different configurations with the probe, no good. I totally unhooked the prob from the walls and freezer plate, it ended up being like 20" long. Figured the best place would be snug against the keg to measuring beer temp. WRONG.

Came home from work last night and tried to pour myself an IPA....... Tap #1 IPA. nothing came out. Um ok. Still have CO2. Guess I'll have a Stout and figure this out later......

Tap #2 Oatmeal Chocolate Stout. Nothing is coming out.
Investigate inside and both kegs are FROZEN SOLID....... After much thought I just re-routed the sensor along the back of the freezer plate and around tried to keep it as close to plate as possible and dialed the temp as low as possible.

Then I got on here looking for solutions, or other idea's. seems like it fixed it for you Gammon, keeping my fingers crossed.

Hope this works and my beer isn't totally ruined.

Back